+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for Canadian company overseas

megadesu

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Hi All,

I have been thinking of this recently. Since my work permit is going to expire in 3 months, I am just trying to plan for the worst case scenario which is possible going to happen as well that I won't be able to get either selected for OINP or higher IELTS score in short time( current crs is 425).

So I would probably have to go back to my home country. I wonder if it is legal if I work remotely for an Canadian company? Well, it's probably impossible to find such a job but I am curious.

Thank you all!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm not sure what you mean by "legal". It's up to your company if they allow you to work remotely. That's an arrangement you would have to make with them.

Obviously any time you spend working for them outside of Canada would not be counted as Canadian experience.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
scylla said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "legal". It's up to your company if they allow you to work remotely. That's an arrangement you would have to make with them.

Obviously any time you spend working for them outside of Canada would not be counted as Canadian experience.
In todays e-age of conference calls on skype and remote working (geography doesn't matter) and follow the sun work schedules of B/KPOs, isn't it kind of funny, that one doesn't really acquire Canadian work experience unless you rubs shoulders (literally) with Canadians themselves in-spite of being an employee of a Canadian firm.

I am wondering what exactly must be the so called Canadian experience after all...am sure, it must be either the office stationary, the food & air or the office loos...anybody else has any ideas???

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
CanadaWeCome said:
In todays e-age of conference calls on skype and remote working (geography doesn't matter) and follow the sun work schedules of B/KPOs, isn't it kind of funny, that one doesn't really acquire Canadian work experience unless you rubs shoulders (literally) with Canadians themselves in-spite of being an employee of a Canadian firm.

I am wondering what exactly must be the so called Canadian experience after all...am sure, it must be either the office stationary, the food & air or the office loos...anybody else has any ideas???
As far as I understand, when they talk about Canadian work experience the emphasis is on the tax paid in Canada.

megadesu

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Hi,

Thank you all for answering. I am just trying to know if I can work from my home country and wait for either being selected by express entry or OINP.

So it seems like it's fine as long as the company is ok. Doesn't need something like work permit or anything since I don't physically work in Canada.

I know it won't count as Canadian experience. I just want the temporarily time that I wait in my home country, I can still work.

Thank you guys!