+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for Canadian company from abroad

Hazel Grace

Dec 27, 2020
Hi all,
I am a PR and will be eligible for citizenship next year. I'll also get married next year and may need to relocate, as my partner stays in japan. Am I eligible to work for Canadian company from outside canada (my present company and they are ok If I work from abroad) ? Will I have any issue from CRA? I have heard that I can get Canadian salary only for 3 months. What after 3 months, will the company pay Canadian salary in local country's currency (CAD equivalent jpy) , or pay as per salary of the said country (jpy according to cost of job in said country) or that that depends more on company than on CRA policy? I have a few staff working from US(mostly traders) , India (IT staff) and UK(again trader and One finance head).

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok 2 things:
While you are a PR, you Can work for a Canadian company, more or less regardless where you are physically (of course as long as that is allowed in Country you will be). That however means that you will be a tax resident for CRA purposes.
Additionally, that time in the case you have described above, will not count towards your residency obligation. Because here you would choose to work remotely from other country.

Reactions: Hazel Grace

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,
I am a PR and will be eligible for citizenship next year. I'll also get married next year and may need to relocate, as my partner stays in japan. Am I eligible to work for Canadian company from outside canada (my present company and they are ok If I work from abroad) ? Will I have any issue from CRA? I have heard that I can get Canadian salary only for 3 months. What after 3 months, will the company pay Canadian salary in local country's currency (CAD equivalent jpy) , or pay as per salary of the said country (jpy according to cost of job in said country) or that that depends more on company than on CRA policy? I have a few staff working from US(mostly traders) , India (IT staff) and UK(again trader and One finance head).
Really depends if you are able to work legally in Japan. Getting permission to work and live in Japan can be difficult. You will essentially be an employee living and working abroad and not a Canadian employee. How much you get compensated is up to the company but is unlikely to change if you are the one asking to work remotely. You will have to check with CRA to determine your tax residency status depending on whether you own a home, have investments, etc. in Canada and the rules about working remotely in Japan. If the company you work for has a presence in Japan that may be an issue.

Reactions: Hazel Grace