+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for a US-based employer from Canada

crowbocop

Mar 15, 2021
Hello all, I have recently applied for a permanent residence through the PNP stream (still awaiting the result of my final application) and I intend to reside in Ontario. I'm currently working for a US-based company as a remote contractor from India and they're looking to file for my H-1B this year.

I'm basically wondering if this is something I should proceed with. I'm only considering this because I don't have any certainty of getting either.

I have a few questions here for the situation where I get both H-1B and the PR:

1. I fully intend to reside in Ontario, pay rent there, and make occasional work trips to the US. Will this be a problem?
2. Is there a minimum number of days I need to be present in the US because of my H-1B? Do I need to maintain a US address as residence and pay rent there too?
3. I assume that if I'm paid in USD through my US-based employer as a full-time employee, I need to pay state and federal taxes in the US - this I'm fine with. This I believe would be in addition to tax I need to pay in Canada and Ontario as a permanent resident, even if I have no Canadian income for the financial year. Is there a way I can claim some rebate in Canada since my taxes are already deducted in the US?

Many thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all, I have recently applied for a permanent residence through the PNP stream (still awaiting the result of my final application) and I intend to reside in Ontario. I'm currently working for a US-based company as a remote contractor from India and they're looking to file for my H-1B this year.

I'm basically wondering if this is something I should proceed with. I'm only considering this because I don't have any certainty of getting either.

I have a few questions here for the situation where I get both H-1B and the PR:

1. I fully intend to reside in Ontario, pay rent there, and make occasional work trips to the US. Will this be a problem?
2. Is there a minimum number of days I need to be present in the US because of my H-1B? Do I need to maintain a US address as residence and pay rent there too?
3. I assume that if I'm paid in USD through my US-based employer as a full-time employee, I need to pay state and federal taxes in the US - this I'm fine with. This I believe would be in addition to tax I need to pay in Canada and Ontario as a permanent resident, even if I have no Canadian income for the financial year. Is there a way I can claim some rebate in Canada since my taxes are already deducted in the US?

Many thanks in advance!
Most of these topics are already covered extensively in the below section of the forum. Suggest you read through the discussions there:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/h-1b-holders-in-the-u-s.59/

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you @scylla. Some of the relevant answers in that forum are from 2018, and my concern was only if they're still applicable today.
Some of the threads were started in 2018 but there are very recent updates / posts on those threads (i.e. from today, this past weekend). That's what you need to read through and that's really the best place for you to go for the information you're looking for. Good luck.

crowbocop

Mar 15, 2021
Understood, thank you. I just asked a follow-up questions on one of the threads there. How do I close this thread?