+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for a non-canadiana Employer

Mars_1996

Apr 20, 2021
I just recently been offered a working holiday visa, allowing me to work in Canada for 2 years. My ultimate goal after those two years is to apply for Express Entry and live permanently in Canada. The problems is that I really like my current Job, but they don't have offices in Canada nor do they operate in that country. My question is, if I was to work for my current employer in Canada for 2 years, will I still have a good chance in the Express Entry pool? Do I have to work for a Canadian company to get a high chance of getting Permanent residency? I will try and get more qualifications and learn French to bump up the score but I would prefer to stick with my current employer.

Thank you everyone.

adomanim

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
I'm guessing yes, to count as a Canadian Experience you and your employer have to be paying taxes in Canada so the company has to be Canadian. Doesn't matter if you work remotely (within Canada) or in office but it has to be Canadian company and you are legally entitled to be working in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just recently been offered a working holiday visa, allowing me to work in Canada for 2 years. My ultimate goal after those two years is to apply for Express Entry and live permanently in Canada. The problems is that I really like my current Job, but they don't have offices in Canada nor do they operate in that country. My question is, if I was to work for my current employer in Canada for 2 years, will I still have a good chance in the Express Entry pool? Do I have to work for a Canadian company to get a high chance of getting Permanent residency? I will try and get more qualifications and learn French to bump up the score but I would prefer to stick with my current employer.

Thank you everyone.
The work you do in Canada will count as foreign work experience and not Canadian work experience.

You will have a higher chance of getting PR if you work for a company in Canada for those two years.

Whether you will still have a good chance at Express Entry if you continue to work for your current employer in Canada will depend on your overall profile. How many points do you have now?