+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for a canadian firm abroad, Kindly Help Please

Rita80

May 30, 2015
Hello Everybody,

I am having a PR status, and I am unable to find a good suitable job since long time, I found a vacancy in well reputed Canadian company, they would like to employ me abroad.

At the moment, I am in real need for a job even if abroad and I am not planning to apply for citizenship but I must be able to keep my PR Card.

This Canadian company has a subsidiary outside Canada, and this subsidiary is an independent company, and this independent company pays the salaries to its staff which I shall be one of them.

They are ready to help me keeping my residency but they are not willing to pay me locally inside Canada as the financial reports of the company abroad are independent.

What should I require from them in order that my employment days working for a Canadian firm abroad count for a RP Card at renewal ?

Please Help ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately I don't think the scenario you have described will allow you to count the time you work outside of Canada as time spent in Canada (even if they paid you locally). To be counted, you would first have to be hired for a job inside of Canada and then transferred at a later date to a role outside of Canada. If you are hired directly for the role outside of Canada then I don't believe CIC will allow you to count the time towards PR.

Rita80

May 30, 2015
scylla said:
Unfortunately I don't think the scenario you have described will allow you to count the time you work outside of Canada as time spent in Canada (even if they paid you locally). To be counted, you would first have to be hired for a job inside of Canada and then transferred at a later date to a role outside of Canada. If you are hired directly for the role outside of Canada then I don't believe CIC will allow you to count the time towards PR.
If you are paid locally then no problem at all, you can stay for 1 month in Canada and then outside, this is in case starting in is really needed, the main part is to be paid locally.

in my case the local company which is a known well reputed company, is ready to provide you with all the documentation proof about the situation and I will declare exactly my salary outside in my income tax and will pay all the related taxes, so the question will be about the possibility of keeping the residency.

If you think of it, this is really absolutely crazy by CIC, cause I will be paying Tax instead of being on welfare now, and I will stop the health card that means they will pay less in the Medical Insurance, and I am not asking for citizenship just to keep the residency till I save some money to be able to come back permanently! They are ready to pay welfare and to pay for health instead of making money and it costs them nothing, absolutely crazy!!!

I will drop the job and will stay on welfare and will continue using the health card, that's what they want!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I concur with the observation that the scenario as described probably will not qualify for credit toward meeting the PR Residency Obligation.

The employment abroad itself must meet certain criteria, including that it is an assignment abroad, is temporary, and the PR-employee is expected to return to his or her position in Canada at the conclusion of the assignment.

Current government appears to be applying this exception rather narrowly . . . almost so narrowly one wonders how anyone would qualify for the exception who does not otherwise already meet the PR RO based on time actually present in Canada (given the extent to which the employment must be tied to work IN Canada).

On the other hand . . . .

A PR can be outside Canada for up to three years within any five year time frame, so it is entirely feasible to take a job abroad for a year or two during which one can save money, continue to engage in career advancing activities, continue to seek employment in Canada, without losing PR status.

And overall, Canada may not be the place for everyone. Jobs are indeed tough to find these days. Except for the disabled or those who otherwise have very limited employment capabilities, long-term welfare is not really a reasonable lifestyle choice . . . and restrictions are likely to increase, while the amount of support at best slips behind increases in the real cost of living, making it an even less viable option. If a person's only available employment is abroad, that may be the best choice to make. This is, after all, a very personal decision; it is, after all, your life.