+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Experience

thaitran26291

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
I hope everyone keeps well since the weather is not really ideal.

I am a 3-year Work Permit holder (Nov 1st 2017 to Nov 1st 2020 ). I have been working fulltime (Average 45-50 hours a week) as an engineer technologist in a same company since August 25, 2017 which was just 10 days after I finished my final exam.

I realize that my full 1-year experience was Oct 31,2018 if I count from the day I recieved my Work Permit.

My questions are

1. Should I inform CIC that I had been working two months before I got my WP ? ( my WP application was submitted on Sept 1st 2017)

2. I am planning to quit the job by the end of this month and preparing to create EE profile on Dec or the beginning of Jan since I need to improve my ielts score. Should I get Employment Letter now or I must wait till I get T4 next year ?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I hope everyone keeps well since the weather is not really ideal.

I am a 3-year Work Permit holder (Nov 1st 2017 to Nov 1st 2020 ). I have been working fulltime (Average 45-50 hours a week) as an engineer technologist in a same company since August 25, 2017 which was just 10 days after I finished my final exam.

I realize that my full 1-year experience was Oct 31,2018 if I count from the day I recieved my Work Permit.

My questions are

1. Should I inform CIC that I had been working two months before I got my WP ? ( my WP application was submitted on Sept 1st 2017)

The relevant date is the date you received notice of completion of your program from your institution. Once you receive that notice, you are no longer a "student" and your authorization to work as a student is gone. You did not indicate this date, so we can't tell if you were working without authorization.

The next relevant date is the date you submitted your PGWP application - you are authorized to work from the date you submit your PGWP application (September 1, 2017), and you can count your work experience from that date.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html

2. I am planning to quit the job by the end of this month and preparing to create EE profile on Dec or the beginning of Jan since I need to improve my ielts score. Should I get Employment Letter now or I must wait till I get T4 next year ?

You don't have to wait until you get the T4, but you should wait to get it until after you quit working, to get credit for the maximum amount of time worked. That is, if you think your employer will be decent about it. If you think your employer will be upset and uncooperative after you quit, you should think about getting it before...