+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working but want to keep learner's income

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by maldenian, Jan 19, 2014.

  1. Hi all,
    I'm currently not working while my wife who works for less then 20/h per week went to an education program which is funded by the government. Because of our income limitation not only my wife don't need to pay for the education program but also, we received learner's income. If I end up working, regardless of my salary, not only do we lose my wife learner's income, we also has to pay for her education.

    My question: what if I work and not reporting it? Would they know that I'm working? Would they have a computerized system which can tell them automatically that I am now working (although not sure how they pull out my data from)? And if so, what is the consequences/penalty if they found out? Thx!

    Note: I'm hoping that I can get information not a response from a moralist who talk about black and white while not providing info at all.
  2. If you are working legally, then you would be working under a SIN (social insurance number). Employers report all employee income to Canada Revenue Agency. So it's actually going to be pretty easy for them to figure out that you are working. If you are caught, you can expect to have to re-pay any benefits your wife received that she was not allowed to receive once you started working (meaning that she will have to pay for the costs of the education program and also return the learner's income she received). This typically also means it will be a great deal more difficult for her to qualify for this type of benefit again. It's possible there may be a penalty fee charged as well - that I don't know.
  3. Unless you know a family member who owns a business you trust and can to help you out, do not.... and I repeat, do not even attempt this. It will cost you a lot more than any income you will make.
  4. Thx for the feedback scyllia and mrbeachman!

Share This Page