+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working as IT Consultant in Canada

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
Hi

I am based at Alberta ,PR of canada. I am planning to work as IT consultant/contractor. I do have one contract to provide IT relates services to company in Canada. They are asking my GST number. I do not know how to get GST number.

This is first time i will be doing this as i always worked as Employee.

What i need to do in order to start my work in term of getting everything on paper ? I saw CRA website

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4002-business-professional-income-2016/t4002-2.html#toctp1

I will go with " sole proprietor (unincorporated, self-employed individual) ". As per my understanding i do not need to register anywhere if i am working as self employed . DO I have to ? Please correct me.

How do i get my GST number ? There is CRA contact number to call . Does anyone share more about it?

I am also planning to work as remote for US based IT companies. How tax structure work if i provide IT based services to US company ? I think i should not charge GST if my services is not consumed or used in Canada. Am i correct ?

Please guide me .

kkamath12

Mar 28, 2019
Hi

I am based at Alberta ,PR of canada. I am planning to work as IT consultant/contractor. I do have one contract to provide IT relates services to company in Canada. They are asking my GST number. I do not know how to get GST number.

This is first time i will be doing this as i always worked as Employee.

What i need to do in order to start my work in term of getting everything on paper ? I saw CRA website

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4002-business-professional-income-2016/t4002-2.html#toctp1

I will go with " sole proprietor (unincorporated, self-employed individual) ". As per my understanding i do not need to register anywhere if i am working as self employed . DO I have to ? Please correct me.

How do i get my GST number ? There is CRA contact number to call . Does anyone share more about it?

I am also planning to work as remote for US based IT companies. How tax structure work if i provide IT based services to US company ? I think i should not charge GST if my services is not consumed or used in Canada. Am i correct ?

Please guide me .
Hi, I would like to connect with you and understand how you overcame this hurdle and help me as I am in same situation.