+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working as an Int Student

goodv1bes

Oct 7, 2013
Got my study permit as I got accepted into SFU. Decided to quit SFU after a year. Now I face several problems:

I'm transitioning between schools and am currently still looking - my study permit has been extended and is safe for another year. Will I be able to work at all? Considering an off-campus work permit requires coordination with a school.

I'm also unable to apply at institutions that require eligibility to work in Canada.. which presents a paradox on my part :(

I'm not blaming the system. The bottom line is that my own carelessness, stubbornness and disorganized state is to blame. I am looking for solutions in this unfamiliar environment.

Please let me know if I've missed out any important information.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
goodv1bes said:
Got my study permit as I got accepted into SFU. Decided to quit SFU after a year. Now I face several problems:
I'm transitioning between schools and am currently still looking - my study permit has been extended and is safe for another year. Will I be able to work at all? Considering an off-campus work permit requires coordination with a school.
I'm also unable to apply at institutions that require eligibility to work in Canada.. which presents a paradox on my part :(
I'm not blaming the system. The bottom line is that my own carelessness, stubbornness and disorganized state is to blame. I am looking for solutions in this unfamiliar environment.
Please let me know if I've missed out any important information.
You need to clarify your situation a bit more....

As I understand it that you were enrolled in Simon Fraser for a year (two semesters atleast) full time before you decided to drop out and are now looking for a new school.

You should first of all be aware that now there is a list of schools that are eligible for OCWP and PGWP, so make sure your potential school is on the list

Yes, the school would need to issue you with an EVN before they issue you a work permit so that is a problem. Also, SFU is now required to report to CIC any intl students that are not enrolled full time (or drop out) and CIC will immediately cancel your Study Permit.

What institutions require eligiblity to work in Canada to admit you for studies?

goodv1bes

Oct 7, 2013
Thanks for your response! It's already clarified many things for me. Also, in regards to institutions that require a work permit, I must be thinking of employers/organizations, which wouldn't require a study permit.

I haven't yet withdrawn from SFU, but will be very soon. I have applied for a visitor permit to extend my stay while I look for other schools. Will that be a problem for me to stay in Canada?

goodv1bes

Oct 7, 2013
Regina said:
What do you mean?
Certain trades schools for example. It does not matter this is not important and you are going off on a tangent.

I haven't yet withdrawn from SFU, but will be very soon. I have applied for a visitor permit to extend my stay while I look for other schools. Will that be a problem for me to stay in Canada?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
goodv1bes said:
Doesn't matter! Please help me with my questions :-[
well if ur visitors permit gets approved then I see no problem.......otherwise u will have to leave canada....also changing visitors permit to study permit will be another problem...

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
changing visitors permit to study permit will be another problem...
This change of status cannot be obtained from within Canada under the current legislation.

vash021

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
txboyscout said:
You need to clarify your situation a bit more....

As I understand it that you were enrolled in Simon Fraser for a year (two semesters atleast) full time before you decided to drop out and are now looking for a new school.

You should first of all be aware that now there is a list of schools that are eligible for OCWP and PGWP, so make sure your potential school is on the list

Yes, the school would need to issue you with an EVN before they issue you a work permit so that is a problem. Also, SFU is now required to report to CIC any intl students that are not enrolled full time (or drop out) and CIC will immediately cancel your Study Permit.

What institutions require eligiblity to work in Canada to admit you for studies?
where can i find this list?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A list of designated learning institutions at the post-secondary level will be available on the CIC website by June 1, 2014.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
goodv1bes said:
Will I be able to work at all? Considering an off-campus work permit requires coordination with a school.
Depends how long you won't be in school. If your classes at SFU end this spring and you start again at your new school in September, you can keep working. Anything longer and you need to stop.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
goodv1bes said:
Thanks for your response! It's already clarified many things for me. Also, in regards to institutions that require a work permit, I must be thinking of employers/organizations, which wouldn't require a study permit.

I am not sure you will be granted a visitors permit....If you have "dropped" out of school and want a visitors visa, the VO will definately question what your true intentions are