+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working as a US citizen after getting married in Canada - Options?

kuki1972

Mar 25, 2010
Dear immigration experts,

I am a US citizen who just got married to a Canadian citizen and am waiting for the marriage certificate. I would like to know how soon I can start working in Canada (I am a professional with a BSc and MBA). And here are my questions:

1. We would like to apply for PR as soon as the marriage certificate comes in. If I apply for PR within Canada, I heard that I can apply for an Open Work Permit which is only granted when the first stage of the PR application is complete. Is this correct? How long does the first stage usually take?

2. I am currently on a tourist visa in Toronto and am in touch with headhunters here. If I get a job offer before or during my PR application, what is the process of applying for a work permit and how long does it take? Can I get a temp work permit and start working (assuming that I am offered a job) while waiting for OWP and then switch to OWP?

3. Are these statements correct?

- If I apply for PR inland, the process takes longer and I cannot leave the country but I qualify for OWP.
- If I apply for PR from Buffalo (I am a NY resident), the process takes shorter, I can travel in and out of Canada but I have to wait to get my PR before I can work.

What other options do I have in terms of going into the Canadian workforce as soon as possible as a sponsored spouse?

Many thanks !

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
kuki1972 said:
I am a US citizen who just got married to a Canadian citizen and am waiting for the marriage certificate. I would like to know how soon I can start working in Canada (I am a professional with a BSc and MBA). And here are my questions:

1. We would like to apply for PR as soon as the marriage certificate comes in. If I apply for PR within Canada, I heard that I can apply for an Open Work Permit which is only granted when the first stage of the PR application is complete. Is this correct? How long does the first stage usually take?
It is almost always NOT in the best interest of a US citizen applicant to apply for PR via the inland process - even with the open work permit option. First of all, US citizens are not usually documented when they enter Canada - so have no way to prove when they came into the country, which means no way to prove that they still had legal temporary status when they apply for PR. That means your application would not benefit from straight-forward processing where an open work permit would be issued after about 6 months, and you could find yourself stuck in Canada for up to two years waiting just for first stage approval. US applicants, even ones staying in Canada as visitors while waiting for PR, can apply via the outland process and have their applications processed through Buffalo. Those applications are typically finalized within 5-10 months - and I've seen straight-forward aps (no previous marriages, dependent children, obviously genuine relationship, etc.) processed in less than 3. So, chances are you'd be able to live and work in Canada sooner by applying for PR via the outland process.
kuki1972 said:
2. I am currently on a tourist visa in Toronto and am in touch with headhunters here. If I get a job offer before or during my PR application, what is the process of applying for a work permit and how long does it take? Can I get a temp work permit and start working (assuming that I am offered a job) while waiting for OWP and then switch to OWP?
What type of temporary status document issued by Immigration Canada do you actually have? There is no such thing as a "tourist visa" for a US citizen. US citizens are only documented on Visitor Records, or with work or study permits.

As far as your work permit question: a work permit is a temporary permit - there's nothing you can get that enables you to work temporarily while waiting for a work permit. If you apply for PR inland, you are not eligible to work until you reach first stage approval and your open work permit is issued. As I mentioned earlier, how long that takes depends on a lot of factors - including whether you're able to prove that you have valid, documented temporary status when you submit the inland PR application. You do have the option of applying for a restricted work permit, but this process is complicated and time-consuming. In order to hire you, the employer first has to get a positive labour market opinion (LMO) that shows that there are NO qualified Canadian applicants. At that point he is allowed to offer the position to you - and then you take that job offer and apply through Immigration Canada (at Buffalo) for a work permit. The restricted work permit would only allow you to work for a specific period of time for that employer at that position. That's the basic difference between normal work permits issued to foreign nationals with intention to work in Canada only temporarily, and open work permits which are only issued to qualified inland spousal PR applicants once they have been assessed as eligible to immigrate.
kuki1972 said:
3. Are these statements correct?

- If I apply for PR inland, the process takes longer and I cannot leave the country but I qualify for OWP.
Yes, a straight-forward inland process will take from 12-18 months to finalize. You are eligible for an open work permit ONLY after you've been successfully assessed as an eligible spousal PR applicant. That doesn't happen until at least 6 months after you submit the application because they are actually backlogged for that long and they don't even look at the aps any earlier than that - and you're ONLY approved for first stage approval at that point if there are no issues (including temporary status issues) with your application.
kuki1972 said:
- If I apply for PR from Buffalo (I am a NY resident), the process takes shorter, I can travel in and out of Canada but I have to wait to get my PR before I can work.
Right, and it's not a given that you can travel in and out on a whim - you'd have to demonstrate at each entry that your intention is only to stay temporarily. There is a way that you can enter with your sponsor, after you're qualified to apply for PR, and get documented status so that you can stay - and apply to extend that status from within Canada if it's going to expire before you get PR - but that is visitor status and does not authorize you to work.
kuki1972 said:
What other options do I have in terms of going into the Canadian workforce as soon as possible as a sponsored spouse?
There aren't any. You are not allowed to work until (1) you have permanent resident status, (2) you have been assessed as an eligible spousal PR applicant as part of the first stage of assessment of an inland PR application - which will take at least 6 months and only that if you can prove that you had documented, valid temporary status when your inland PR ap was submitted AND you included the open work permit request and fee WITH the inland ap, or (3) you apply separately for a restricted work permit after your potential employer receives a positive LMO and offers you a position. This process takes much longer than the outland PR process - so is basically a waste of time and money.

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RobsLuv--I have been told by an immigration consultant that I can go to the nearest port of entry and receive a temporary work permit instantaneously because I am a US citizen with an LMO exempt profession (per NAFTA).

If the OP in this case does not require an LMO, it seems like it might not be a waste and time of money to attempt to get a work permit under similar circumstances. What do you think?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

abedelia said:
RobsLuv--I have been told by an immigration consultant that I can go to the nearest port of entry and receive a temporary work permit instantaneously because I am a US citizen with an LMO exempt profession (per NAFTA).

If the OP in this case does not require an LMO, it seems like it might not be a waste and time of money to attempt to get a work permit under similar circumstances. What do you think?
Still need a job offer from a Canadian employer that conforms to the NAFTA exemptions.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Yes, it is true that a US citizen can be issued a work permit at a Canadian port of entry - but that does not mean that the requirement for an LMO is waived. It just means that, with proof of the positive LMO and the job offer, a US citizen can apply for a work permit at the POE - rather than through the embassy - and it's possible for it to be issued there. It's also possible that it won't be . . . and if the OP goes to the border to do this, he runs the risk of being refused not only a work permit, but also admission back into Canada.

I know it shouldn't be like this but I ran into a similar situation trying to get my US citizen minor child a study permit at a POE. We had all of the paperwork with us, fees paid, etc., but the officer at the border told us we had to go to Buffalo, to the embassy, to get her study permit. Fortunately we were not refused entry back into Canada - but we were unsuccessful in getting the study permit. IMHO, it's always a cr*p shoot when you try to accomplish anything important at a Canadian port of entry.

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Still need a job offer from a Canadian employer that conforms to the NAFTA exemptions.
I'm not sure what the OP's situation is, but in my case, I have a job offer from a Canadian employer and they are employing the immigration consultant that I mentioned--she has implied to me she can do a "pre-authorization" of some kind and then I can go to the border and essentially pick it up. Does this sound right to you?

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The NAFTA is explained here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-business.asp

Under Chapter 16 of NAFTA, citizens of Canada, the United States and Mexico can gain quicker, easier temporary entry into the three countries to conduct business or investment activities.

Business people covered by NAFTA do not need a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC). This means that Canadian employers do not need to have a job offer approved by HRSDC to employ a United States or a Mexican business person, as set out in NAFTA.

Business people covered by NAFTA must, however, comply with the general provisions on temporary entry to Canada.

NAFTA applies to four specific categories of business people: business visitors, professionals, intra-company transferees, and traders and investors.

Business visitor is a separate category with separate requirements. Business visitors do not require a work permit. For more information, see Jobs that do not require a work permit in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.

A professional must:

* be qualified to work in one of the more than 60 professions listed in Appendix 1603.D.1 of Chapter 16 of NAFTA (for example, accountant, computer systems analyst, engineer, management consultant and technical publications writer) and
* have pre-arranged employment with a Canadian enterprise in an occupation that matches the qualification.