+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working 23hrs a week

Eylulb

Apr 21, 2018
Hello,

It is my 3rd year in canada as an international student. On my first year, around 6-7 months I was working 20-23 hours per week depending on a week. I did not think it could be a huge problem but then I started to work even less then 20 hours. I have been working 17-18 hours per week for 1.5 years. I was wondering if I have still have chance to get my work permit after I graduate. I am really stressed, it would be nice to hear from you especially who has the similar issue but got their work permit.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
One of the first rules you learn as an international student in Canada, is that you are only allowed to work 20 hours max per week, as a full time student. How can you then say you didn't realise???? You knew well enough what the rules were and what impact it will have on your application for PGWP on completion of studies. I am at a loss why people risk this for a few more hours of pay!

I don't have advice for you but just hoping this doesn't negatively affect your application. Canada is a stickler for rules.

Goodluck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

It is my 3rd year in canada as an international student. On my first year, around 6-7 months I was working 20-23 hours per week depending on a week. I did not think it could be a huge problem but then I started to work even less then 20 hours. I have been working 17-18 hours per week for 1.5 years. I was wondering if I have still have chance to get my work permit after I graduate. I am really stressed, it would be nice to hear from you especially who has the similar issue but got their work permit.
Nothing you can do now so I would not break the rule again and be honest that you accidentally were working to many hours which you corrected.