+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worker visa application form: military service

npe

Nov 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of applying for a worker visa and I'm filling out the forms. I'm not sure how to answer the "military service" question: military service is mandatory in my country, however I haven't served in the military - I've done military training at the university for 3 months instead (mostly courses), I have a military ID and a "sergeant in reserve" military rank. I applied and received a V1 visa last year, and I remember answering "No" to this question in the application form then, as I discovered numerous forums stating that this should not be considered military service. My question is: did I have to answer "Yes" to this question in the V1 application form (and thus provided false information)? If I answer "Yes" in my worker visa application form, and this information will be compared to the data I've provided on my V1 application, what problems will this cause? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: SJPLAMA and Zeitoon

npe

Nov 18, 2017
I got a response from a lawyer at the local Canada Visa Application Center, and wanted to share it here, hopefully, it might be helpful for somebody in the future.

To give a bit more detail, I live in Moldova, and the military courses I mentioned are locally called "catedra militara" (md/ro) or "военная кафедра" (ru). As the lawyer told me, this kind of military education is not considered military service as per the wording of the question in the application form, even though every graduate receives a military ID and a reservist rank. If CIC had been looking for anyone possessing a military rank, the wording of the question would've been different. As it stands, CIC is mainly interested in people with a military background, who might potentially have participated in military operations, and university students who underwent a military training course are outside their area of interest - that was the explanation.

Hope this helps!

SJPLAMA

Star Member
Aug 14, 2017
I got a response from a lawyer at the local Canada Visa Application Center, and wanted to share it here, hopefully, it might be helpful for somebody in the future.

To give a bit more detail, I live in Moldova, and the military courses I mentioned are locally called "catedra militara" (md/ro) or "военная кафедра" (ru). As the lawyer told me, this kind of military education is not considered military service as per the wording of the question in the application form, even though every graduate receives a military ID and a reservist rank. If CIC had been looking for anyone possessing a military rank, the wording of the question would've been different. As it stands, CIC is mainly interested in people with a military background, who might potentially have participated in military operations, and university students who underwent a military training course are outside their area of interest - that was the explanation.

Hope this helps!
hi,
Thank you so much for posting, I'm filling my application now and got stucked at this question.

Have you listed all of xxxx xxxxxx's periods of military service or government positions (if any), and all of the organizations that xxxxx xxxxxx belongs to (if any)?

Did you answered Not applicable?

Fabs

Oct 18, 2021
Hi, thank you for sharing this! My husband and I are filling out the sponsorship application package. My husband is Russian and went to University there, which taught him military courses, gave him a military ID and rank, but he was technically exempt from military service in Russia and never had to participate in any military operation. He has a "military booklet" and was going to answer Yes to the military service questions and provide a copy of this booklet, but after reading your post we will answer No.