+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work visa while undergoing an immigration process

Sophie_B

Aug 2, 2022
Hello, guys. I have a question regarding work visas.
Can I apply for a temporary worker visa or any other kind of work visa while waiting for the family immigration process completion?

Due to the waiting times being gradually extended because of the backlog, I'm looking for options other than a tourist visa (which I have been rejected in getting) to reunite with my mom and my stepfather as soon as possible (I am a 19-year-old dependant). I would be glad to receive any recommendations.
Thank you very much in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, guys. I have a question regarding work visas.
Can I apply for a temporary worker visa or any other kind of work visa while waiting for the family immigration process completion?

Due to the waiting times being gradually extended because of the backlog, I'm looking for options other than a tourist visa (which I have been rejected in getting) to reunite with my mom and my stepfather as soon as possible (I am an 19-year-old dependant). I would be glad to receive any recommendations.
Thank you very much in advance.
What country are you from / what passport do you hold?

Generally speaking, a work permit in this situation is only possible if you secure a job offer in Canada and your Canadian employer obtains an approved LMIA. You would then qualify to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

Sophie_B

Aug 2, 2022
What country are you from / what passport do you hold?

Generally speaking, a work permit in this situation is only possible if you secure a job offer in Canada and your Canadian employer obtains an approved LMIA. You would then qualify to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.
I'm holding a Belarusian passport, I'm from Minsk.
I was worried about one process possibly affecting the other, since the process of getting a tourist visa was affected by the fact that from their POV I wouldn't be likely to come back to my homeland if I came to Canada for a certain period. Unfortunately, the dual intent thing didn't help us convince the officers otherwise, so I am worried about being rejected due to the same reasons

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm holding a Belarusian passport, I'm from Minsk.
I was worried about one process possibly affecting the other, since the process of getting a tourist visa was affected by the fact that from their POV I wouldn't be likely to come back to my homeland if I came to Canada for a certain period. Unfortunately, the dual intent thing didn't help us convince the officers otherwise, so I am worried about being rejected due to the same reasons
The main challenge you are facing right now is qualifying for a work permit. This most likely won't be possible for you.

In order to qualify to apply for a work permit, you need to first secure a job offer with an employer in Canada and that employer then needs to get an approved LMIA. The LMIA process is long and expensive for the employer and requires them to prove that no Canadian could be hired for the role. Generally speaking, it's very difficult to find employers who are willing to go through this process. It will be even more difficult for you given your age, level of education and lack of work experience.

I understand why you are worried about whether a work permit would be approved or not. However the very first problem you are facing is that you don't even qualify to apply for a work permit at this time and it will be very difficult to get a job offer + approved LMIA in order to be able to apply.