+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work visa to apply for permanent resident in Canada after marriage

joeylam2014

Jul 8, 2014
I am so glad to find this form! Many knowledgeable people with kind hearts to help :)
And I am also glad to know I am not the only one who's lost!

Background:
My husband and I got married in early 2014.
He has been in Canada since 2006. At the beginning, he hold a student visa. He finished studies and work full-time since 2014 April. He got approved for a 3-year work visa. Hence, he can legally stay in Canada until 2017 April.
I met him 2 years ago (2012) and we got married in 2014 Feb.
I was born here and I have Canadian citizenship. I am self-employed now.

Question:
How can I help my husband to become a PR in Canada? And ultimately, obtain citizenship.
I have no problems w/ providing proof of how we met, we got in love and our marriage is 100% legal and true.
My husband's Eng level is fine, no problems w/ read, write and speak.
I am so worried that all the scams marriage will make this type of request become more and more difficult :(

Any input/ feedback/ reference link/ personal experiences are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You will need to sponsor your husband for Permanent Residency.

Have a read through the first post here by Leon, it's a good start on the process http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

Decide whether to apply inland or outland, noting that a person can be IN Canada and still apply outland. Usually outland is better, especially since he already has a work permit valid for several years, but it is does depend on where he is from; some outland offices have extremely long processing times. You can check processing times here http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/information/times/perm-fc.asp.

Once you've decided on inland or outland, go here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp to find the proper application package and start reading.

joeylam2014

Jul 8, 2014
canuck_in_uk

Thanks so much for providing the links. They are very helpful.

Since my husband may be promoted within his company, quitting his job and return to China to wait for approval is not an option.

I guess we will work on applying via inland :)

Once again, thanks for your input.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
joeylam2014 said:
Since my husband may be promoted within his company, quitting his job and return to China to wait for approval is not an option.
Keep in mind, an applicant can be legally living IN on a work permit and still apply outland. The fact your husband wants to keep his job in canada and not move back to china shouldn't be a deciding factor about whether to apply inland or outland. from what i've learned, the decision to apply inland vs. outland is best to be decided based on how long the outland visa office takes to approve an application.

If China's visa office takes longer than 19 months (the time inland currently takes), THEN it's best to apply inland. If China's visa office takes LESS time than that, then apply outland. Your husband will not need to return to china to land in canada as a pr. He can simply do what's called "Flagpoling" at a us border and claim his belongings on his landing forms as "to be followed".

I am not up to date on all visa office processing times, so double check this forum for information. The "trend" found on here with application processing times is mostly less time than what is listed by CIC for processing. An applicant can provide a canadian address for an outland application.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only potential caveat to applying Outland, from within Canada, is if he is called for an interview*, as he would need to travel to China.

If the processing times are similar, Inland would seem to be a better option.

* (if they have questions or doubts about his application and/or your marriage).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
joeylam2014 said:
You're welcome.

As I stated in my first post, "Decide whether to apply inland or outland, noting that a person can be IN Canada and still apply outland."

He does not need to return to China to apply outland. Beijing has a fast processing time, so I definitely would recommend outland.

rhcohen2014 said:
The "trend" found on here with application processing times is mostly less time than what is listed by CIC for processing.
This is because the posted processing times are how long it took to process 80% of apps, as CIC states at the top of the page. It is not meant to be taken as an average. You can find averages in the data sets here http://data.gc.ca/data/en/dataset/427337d0-7c36-4fed-8428-c6a63f8c19b3.