+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Visa Issue from UK

Jason12345

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Hi all

I am from the uk, I am currently on a tourist visa (Visitor Visa) and it runs out on Jan 23rd 2014.

I have been offered an investment job at RBC which would start on Jan 7th 2014. I do not have a working Visa currently and am looking at the best options available so i am able to work.

Does having a job offer from such a big company in Canada help me at all?
Is it a fast process? (will i make it by Jan 7th?)
Would i have to leave the country and go back to the UK to get the visa or can i apply from inside canada?
Would applying for a work visa be my best method or would going down the IEC program be better for me? I noticed that that program didnt open untill Jan 15th last year. If i have to leave by the 23rd that would be an issue.

Other information which may help the situation.

I reside with my canadian girlfriend here in winnipeg. We have been together whilst traveling over a year but have only been living together for about 4 months. (i dont no if that counts as common-law) also if going down the common law path would i be classed an implyed status s soon as my app is sent and being processed .

All in all i dont want to leave my girlfriend and have to return to the UK : )

any help or advise is good advise. Many thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To apply for a work visa, your employer first needs to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion. Do they have one yet? If not, they should apply immediately as approval typically takes a month or two. The work permit route is definitely the fastest way to go.

IEC would certainly be another way to go - however there's no way you'll be able to start work on January 7th. Likely not until March or April.

To be recognized as a common law couple, you must prove that you have been living together for at least one full year.