I am an international PhD student in a Canadian University, my wife and kid applied visitor visa for six months duration in January 2013 from India but got refused. Stated the following reasons for refusal:
1. your travel history (I don't know why they mentioned this. she doesn't have any travel history as she never gone any other country)
2. Your family ties in Canada and in your home country (showed ties in Canada-husband and in India-Parents)
3. Length of proposed stay in Canada (Clearly mentioned duration and dates in invitation letter and application letter)
4. Your personal assets and financial status (showed 11,500 CAD, 5,00,000 INR and assets value 1,00,00,000 INR all are on my name)
5. I am not satisfied that you have sufficient funds including income or assets to carry out your stated purpose in going to Canada or to maintain yourself while in Canada and to effect your departure.
I don't know where I went wrong with this application. I am not sure how to satisfy the visa officer for a visitor visa, so I would like to apply for open work permit for my wife and visitor visa for my kid. Can I use the same documents for OWP?
It would be appreciable if you guys have any information/suggestion to share.
You can use the same document for OWP but you have to prove that your wife has strong ties in India and will return home at some point. If they believe she is a risk of overstay, they will refuse again.