+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work visa for international students

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by umar.2013, Apr 16, 2013.

  1. Hi, I want to know that if two international students on study visa get married here, are they eligible for work visa than?
  2. A spouse of an international student can apply for an open full time work permit based on their study permit.

    However, if they are both students, I do not know if each of them could apply for an open work permit based on the other ones study permit.

    A student can however apply for an off-campus work permit which allows them to work up to 20 hrs. a week.
  3. Hi Leon,

    I am an international PhD student in a Canadian University, my wife and kid applied visitor visa for six months duration in January 2013 from India but got refused. Stated the following reasons for refusal:

    1. your travel history (I don't know why they mentioned this. she doesn't have any travel history as she never gone any other country)
    2. Your family ties in Canada and in your home country (showed ties in Canada-husband and in India-Parents)
    3. Length of proposed stay in Canada (Clearly mentioned duration and dates in invitation letter and application letter)
    4. Your personal assets and financial status (showed 11,500 CAD, 5,00,000 INR and assets value 1,00,00,000 INR all are on my name)
    5. I am not satisfied that you have sufficient funds including income or assets to carry out your stated purpose in going to Canada or to maintain yourself while in Canada and to effect your departure.

    I don't know where I went wrong with this application. I am not sure how to satisfy the visa officer for a visitor visa, so I would like to apply for open work permit for my wife and visitor visa for my kid. Can I use the same documents for OWP?

    It would be appreciable if you guys have any information/suggestion to share.

    Thanks in advance
  4. You can use the same document for OWP but you have to prove that your wife has strong ties in India and will return home at some point. If they believe she is a risk of overstay, they will refuse again.
  5. Ties in India:

    1. 15000 CAD in her bank account
    2. assets value 20000 CAD on her name
    3. 20000 CAD house on my name
    4. her parents and family members living in India.

    Are these enough ties in India? What else can she show strong ties in India?

    My visa valid until sep 2016, Can she use the same dates for return to India or lesser than that? pls advise me


Share This Page