+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work visa for an international couple

galbin

Jun 7, 2012
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are living in Israel. I am an Israeli citizen and she is Japanese. We have been living together for just over nine months, and were recently married. I accepted a postdoctoral position at the university of Toronto and we're planning to move to Toronto at the beginning of September. We're about to apply for work permits (postdoctoral for me, and open for her).
My question is concerning police certificates. Since my wife is Japanese, I understand it is likely that she will be required to submit a Japanese police certificate. She has also spent about a year in Australia and 8 months in the US, both as a student.

Sorry for the long introduction :) My questions are:
- I know that formally you may be required to produce a police certificate from any country in which you spent over six months. Does anybody know if it is likely that my wife will be asked for Australian and US police certificates?
- We have already submitted a Japanese police certificate to the Israeli authorities some six months ago, and have been in Israeli since. Does anybody know if it is likely that the embassy may accept this certificate (a copy, or the original if we can get it) in lieu of a new one, despite being over 3 months old?
- The Japanese embassy cannot start the process of obtaining a new copy of my wife's police certificate without an official letter of request from the Canadian embassy. Does anybody know if there is a chance the embassy can produce such a letter before we open an immigration file? The reason I am asking is that my passport was not valid for the duration of my work, so I am now waiting for it to be renewed, and we would prefer to start the process with the Japanese embassy as soon as possible...

Many thanks!
Gal