+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work visa expires and I'm pregnant. Please Help

natalia1

Jul 3, 2009
I've been on work permit for the last 3.5 years (1 extension). My work permit expires in the middle of July. My employer got refused LMO for me twice now due to the high unemployment rate in Alberta/Canada. I work for oilfield. So as of July 13th I have to be off the payroll.
I applied for an extended stay as a visitor and will be submitting papers for PR under the spousal sponsorship (was told it would take the same amount of time for an experienced class).
I live in a common law partnership (my partner is canadian) and currently pregnant with my second child (first child from the same partner). I am 5.5 months pregnant. My alberta health care expires with my visa which is July 13th. Would I be able to renew it as a visitor? Also would I be eligible for EI as a visitor as I was paying into it? If somebody could help with an advise would be great. Thx

PS What are the approximate times to get PR status under spousal partnership and experienced class?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can not renew your health care as a visitor. Visitors do not qualify for health care :( I do not think you can get EI as a visitor either. You need to talk to Service Canada about this. It's unfair since you've paid into it but they have their rules.

I do not know how fast CEC is, immigration lists no time for it yet, you may be able to find something on http://www.trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers If you applied under FSW with AEO, I have heard it would be really fast. Your employer could try to get an AEO, they are easier to get than LMO's.

Spousal sponsorship depends on inland or outland. If you apply inland and your application is rock-solid and all the info there and you apply for a work permit at the same time, you could have your work permit in 5-6 months. That would re-instate your health care but I am not sure if it would re-instate your rights to EI maternity benefits. You would have to ask Service Canada about that. You could have your PR in anywhere from 8 months to 2 years. If you apply outland, there is no open work permit but processing time can be fast depending on where your application is processed, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp You have to add another month or so to these timelines for sponsor approval in the beginning.

natalia1

Jul 3, 2009
Just an update.
They extended my Alberta Health Care for 90 days. Then I'll need to show them my visitors record to extend it even further....so Visitors Do qualify for AHC.
As for EI it's complicated. I do qualify for maternity EI as they said when I called them since I do have enough hours worked but then I need to provide my SIN. But my SIN expires on July 13th. I've called and found out that I can not renew my SIN since I'm not authorized to work any more. They told me to ask EI people if I can provide them with my expired one. Now I can't get hold of anybody there at all who can help me with this. We'll see what happens.