+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work status when denied new visa while holding an existing visa

mudway

Feb 23, 2019
Hi all,

I'm a recent grad student here and because of a screw up on my end I was denied my grad work permit (I applied 1 day too late). My wife already held an open work permit but I decided to apply for a new one so as to not have to deal with having 2 expiry dates to have to worry about.

As my partner's new work permit was denied alongside mine, does this invalidate their existing permit? or are they allowed to continue working till their existing permit expires?

Thanks for all the help

Tom

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I'm a recent grad student here and because of a screw up on my end I was denied my grad work permit (I applied 1 day too late). My wife already held an open work permit but I decided to apply for a new one so as to not have to deal with having 2 expiry dates to have to worry about.

As my partner's new work permit was denied alongside mine, does this invalidate their existing permit? or are they allowed to continue working till their existing permit expires?

Thanks for all the help

Tom
Your spouse can work until the expiry date of the open work permit. The OWP is still valid.

Reactions: mudway

mudway

Feb 23, 2019
Your spouse can work until the expiry date of the open work permit. The OWP is still valid.
You're a wonderful human being. That takes 50% of the pressure off of us.

Do you think there's a valid path for me to take to get leniency on that 1 day submission? It was over Christmas and I was waiting on $ to be able to pay for the fee

EDIT: As an additional mention, the new system allows for me to apply up to 180 days after. Would I be able to argue for leniency based on that?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're a wonderful human being. That takes 50% of the pressure off of us.

Do you think there's a valid path for me to take to get leniency on that 1 day submission? It was over Christmas and I was waiting on $ to be able to pay for the fee

EDIT: As an additional mention, the new system allows for me to apply up to 180 days after. Would I be able to argue for leniency based on that?
The 180 day rule is brand new and there isn't a lot of experience on this forum with it.

If you are still within 180 days of completing your program, then I would say that you can apply. If you are beyond the 180 days, then I don't think you have a case because at the time you applied, the 180 rule wasn't in place. That's my opinion and interpretation of the new rule (but I don't know for certain). You can always pay for a consult with an immigration lawyer.