+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work remotely abroad after 6 months working inside Canada

ehsan.fb

Dec 5, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have a PGWP and I have about 6 months work experience inside Canada. Now, I'm going to travel to back home and work remotely for 1 or 2 months. Does this period of time (remote job outside Canada) will be counted as Canadian Work Experience (CEC) to apply for PR in the future?
My company is completely fine and I will pay my taxes and everything will be the same except my location !!

Thanks in advance

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have a PGWP and I have about 6 months work experience inside Canada. Now, I'm going to travel to back home and work remotely for 1 or 2 months. Does this period of time (remote job outside Canada) will be counted as Canadian Work Experience (CEC) to apply for PR in the future?
My company is completely fine and I will pay my taxes and everything will be the same except my location !!

Thanks in advance
No it doesn’t count for CEC. You can count it as foreign experience.

Reactions: scylla

proceso

May 1, 2020
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance
I am also interested to know about this.

proceso

May 1, 2020
Know about what? You need to be in Canada to claim Canadian work experience unless under specific circumstances (e.g. transferred to Canadian office in another country).
Thank you for the reply.

My scenario is, I am planning to go on annual leaves for 2 weeks and my company allows me to work remotely (even in Canada I work remotely because of covid). So my plan is to work 2 weeks outside Canada remotely + 2 weeks of annual leaves. I'll still pay the same tax, same job offer, and so on, nothing will change. Even in those 2 weeks, the experience won't count as a Canadian experience?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the reply.

My scenario is, I am planning to go on annual leaves for 2 weeks and my company allows me to work remotely (even in Canada I work remotely because of covid). So my plan is to work 2 weeks outside Canada remotely + 2 weeks of annual leaves. I'll still pay the same tax, same job offer, and so on, nothing will change. Even in those 2 weeks, the experience won't count as a Canadian experience?
If you are not in Canada, it doesn’t count.

Reactions: proceso

@trigger

Jun 24, 2019
If you are not in Canada, it doesn’t count.
See it's a tricky and borderline sceanrio.. one or two weeks should be ok but extended work is definitely not counted. Something similar to paid vacation outside Canada are also counted against the CEC experience.

Reactions: proceso