+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work remote in Canada for an employer in the USA and still sponsor parents

f_canada

Apr 7, 2017
Can I live and work remote in Canada for an employer in the USA and still sponsor my parents during the application process?

Bonus question:
How would tax papers work? Can I still claim the foreign tax credit after paying taxes to the IRS via W-2 form?

Tonych76

Jun 20, 2012
Visa Office......
Miss
App. Filed.......
14-08-2017
Doc's Request.
28-09-2017
Well let me answer you with a question?

Are you US Citizen? Are you at least 6 month of the year in Canada? you see where I go with that...

IRCC requires you certain amount of income for sponsoring, it doesnt matter from where it come from. And how you show it, it is with your tax returns. Another way around that it is register a CO and invoice your employer for your services. And that way you only pay Canadian taxes.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
f_canada said:
Can I live and work remote in Canada for an employer in the USA and still sponsor my parents during the application process?

How would tax papers work? Can I still claim the foreign tax credit after paying taxes to the IRS via W-2 form?
Provided you are actually living in Canada and you declare your foreign income on your Canadian tax return, yes, you can do this.

Yes, you claim the taxes you pay to the IRS when you file your Canadian return.

f_canada

Apr 7, 2017
Tonych76 said:
Well let me answer you with a question?

Are you US Citizen? Are you at least 6 month of the year in Canada? you see where I go with that...

IRCC requires you certain amount of income for sponsoring, it doesnt matter from where it come from. And how you show it, it is with your tax returns. Another way around that it is register a CO and invoice your employer for your services. And that way you only pay Canadian taxes.
How being a US citizen has anything to do with it? I'm a Canadian citizen on a TN visa

f_canada

Apr 7, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Provided you are actually living in Canada and you declare your foreign income on your Canadian tax return, yes, you can do this.

Yes, you claim the taxes you pay to the IRS when you file your Canadian return.
What if I am working in the office in the United States half the time, and half the time remote?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
f_canada said:
What if I am working in the office in the United States half the time, and half the time remote?
If a visa officer decides you aren't "living in Canada", then income earned during that time wouldn't be acceptable and you may fail income test.

I would guess living 50/50 between US and Canada will not count, but really it's up to IRCC.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
f_canada said:
Then you are basically living in both Canada and the US and earning half of your income while living outside of Canada, so you wouldn't qualify as a sponsor.