+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permits, Health Care and PR For Syrian Refugees

Drebeat

Jun 5, 2013
I'm not attempting to make this a political question but rather a practical one as I am wondering if the government is going to fast track the 25,000 refugees for PR, health care and/or work permits and if so, what impact will this have on those of us who have sponsored spouses and are awaiting the lengthy period to qualify for same.

Are those that the government is sponsoring on our dime going to get preferential treatment while us sponsors of our own wives and husbands are to be left to the wolves to not only pay for the government's new wards but our own spouses while surviving on a single income with spouse sitting at home going crazy for years and wanting, but unable to contribute? :-X

M

mikeymyke

Drebeat said:
our own spouses while surviving on a single income with spouse sitting at home going crazy for years and wanting, but unable to contribute? :-X
With outland application, applicant can always return to home country to work.
With inland application, applicant can apply for an open work permit.

Drebeat

Jun 5, 2013
Not in my wife's case, she cannot as she didn't have legal status by the time we submitted our application so have to wait the entire period which was deemed to be 18 months and will hopefully but concluded in April next year.

From our lawyer;

Also, the new pilot project of issuing open work permit within 4 months of the Spousal Sponsorship and Open Work Permit application, the principal applicant (*******) must have legal status.

If she wants to apply for an open work permit, she will have to wait until we receive the Approval in Principle letter.
So, my question once again is, will the refugees receive priority in PR and work permits over my wife whom I am supporting single handedly while simultaneously supporting the Government's new wards?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Drebeat said:
Not in my wife's case, she cannot as she didn't have legal status by the time we submitted our application so have to wait the entire period which was deemed to be 18 months and will hopefully but concluded in April next year.

From our lawyer;

So, my question once again is, will the refugees receive priority in PR and work permits over my wife whom I am supporting single handedly while simultaneously supporting the Government's new wards?
The short answer is yes, they will. This was one of the Liberal's key platforms, and they are very experienced at using taxpayer money to help everyone but the taxpayers themselves.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Drebeat said:
Just thought it might be worthwhile to confirm that your lawyer is absolutely correct. Since your spouse was out of status when the inland application was submitted, she unfortunately doesn't qualify for the open work permit pilot. Good luck with the wait.

Drebeat

Jun 5, 2013
scylla said:
Just thought it might be worthwhile to confirm that your lawyer is absolutely correct. Since your spouse was out of status when the inland application was submitted, she unfortunately doesn't qualify for the open work permit pilot. Good luck with the wait.
Thank you.

torontosm said:
The short answer is yes, they will. This was one of the Liberal's key platforms, and they are very experienced at using taxpayer money to help everyone but the taxpayers themselves.
Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
torontosm said:
Agreed. This was a key part of their election platform. Canadian voters picked them as well as their platform. Majority who bothered to vote have spoken.

Drebeat

Jun 5, 2013
Agreed, democracy in action. A further, and more relevant question to all members of this CV medium is whether or not this will slow everybody's applications.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Drebeat said:
Agreed, democracy in action. A further, and more relevant question to all members of this CV medium is whether or not this will slow everybody's applications.
In my opinion it has to. Someone has to do the work of processing the applications - and that will be the existing visa officers.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
In my opinion it has to. Someone has to do the work of processing the applications - and that will be the existing visa officers.
I agree. The problem is that CIC updates the processing times quartery (last updated earlier this month), so we won't know how bad it is until Spring.

Don't be too surprised when the Inland processing goes from 27 months to...something much worse.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Drebeat said:

From our lawyer;

torontosm said:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/welcome/overview.asp

Since they will be given their CoPR document before they even board the plane, suffice to say that when they land, they will have authorization to work right away.

Phase 1, states this (at the bottom):

The government also has several thousand applications in processing for privately sponsored refugees (PSRs) and government-assisted refugees (GARs) under way which will continue to be processed as part of this initiative.

Does that mean that they will also receive their `immediate' PR?

Interestingly, when you click on IRCC (under `Meet the Team"), it shows this:

Identify potential applicants for resettlement with help from the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR)
Temporarily deploy IRCC staff overseas
Process selected applicants through an expedited process and issue temporary resident visas
Establish a travel schedule and plan for contingencies related to delays, cancelations and diversion of travel
Complete the processing requirements (security and medical) for permanent residency status
Determine the final destinations of refugees through a community capacity mapping exercise
Provide the required necessities and services to individuals until permanent residency is granted
Coordinate the integration and resettlement of individuals in cooperation with the provinces, territories, municipalities and other partners
Provide health coverage until the provincial or territorial health coverage becomes available (through the Interim Federal Health Program)
Engage and coordinate with community organizations and volunteers to provide additional support towards integration

Why would they need to issue TRVs if they're going to also issue a CoPR, before they travel to Canada?

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
Because they are not from a visa exempt country. They need a travel visa to board on route to canada. My husband had it and a copr while coming to Canada. On arrival his copr was processed and his travel visa cancelled.