+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit

tyagifever

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018
Hi guys hope you’re enjoying the sunshine ☀
Just wondering if I can leave the country before applying for work permit?
I graduate in September and plan to go back home and come back in a month.
Study permit valid till November!

Thanks!!

Maxsharma12

Jun 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks!!

Yes, You can, as International students hoping to remain in Canada on a Post-Graduation Work Permit now have six months to apply once they obtain their notice of graduation and are no longer required to have a valid study permit either.

source:https://www.cicnews.com/2019/02/canada-extends-application-period-for-post-graduation-work-permits-drops-valid-study-permit-requirement-0211887.html#gs.t00tdd

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018

Thanks!!
Yes you certainly can but if you are planning to apply for a PGWP at the airport on your return be aware that you maybe refused to be issued a PGWP if you are not from TRV exempt country. This was my personal experience and it all depends on the CBSA officers interpretation of the rule book. A friend of mine from the same home country was issued the permit a few days earlier.

tyagifever

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018
Yes you certainly can but if you are planning to apply for a PGWP at the airport on your return be aware that you maybe refused to be issued a PGWP if you are not from TRV exempt country. This was my personal experience and it all depends on the CBSA officers interpretation of the rule book. A friend of mine from the same home country was issued the permit a few days earlier.
Thanks for your answer but my concern is not getting the work permit approved but to be able to enter Canada on the basis of my study permit. I would have received my transcripts and other required documents from my school to apply for work permit for which I will apply during this one month when I’ll still be in India.

My question is weather they would let me enter the country while my work permit would be in process.

I’m planning to leave on 19th August
Expecting to receive transcripts from school by 10th September and will apply for work permit on the same day.
And would return to canada on 25th September.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You can enter if your TRV is valid. Since you would have applied for PGWP, its up to the officer what status you will have in Canada, could be student, could be visitor or they could let you apply again for PGWP and get it right there. Have proof of your application.

tyagifever

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018
You can enter if your TRV is valid. Since you would have applied for PGWP, its up to the officer what status you will have in Canada, could be student, could be visitor or they could let you apply again for PGWP and get it right there. Have proof of your application.
Thank you for your response. I have another query
What if I do not apply for work permit during that month?
Would I still be allowed to enter on the basis of the validity of my visa and the student permit considering my studies would have already been completed?
If yes, can I apply for the PGWP right there?

Thank you

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Thank you for your response. I have another query
What if I do not apply for work permit during that month?
Would I still be allowed to enter on the basis of the validity of my visa and the student permit considering my studies would have already been completed?
If yes, can I apply for the PGWP right there?

Thank you
Study permit expires 90 days after completing your studies if you are still within that time you should be fine. You should also be able to do a flagpole and apply for PGWP but the people at poe are not consistent they might let u in as student and tell you to apply online.

tyagifever

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018
Study permit expires 90 days after completing your studies if you are still within that time you should be fine. You should also be able to do a flagpole and apply for PGWP but the people at poe are not consistent they might let u in as student and tell you to apply online.
So the bottom line is, I will be allowed to enter, irrespective! Thank you and have a good night!