+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit

OsamaAli

Jul 11, 2019
Brossard, QC
I submitted my refugee claimant file three months ago in Montreal and in the application I requested a work permit. My lawyer told me I dont need to submit a separate application for the work permit. He also told me that the work permit needs one month from the date the medical report is sent to immigration. It has been around two months since I did the medical checkup and I received nothing. I am afraid I need to submit a separate application for the work permit and that I am wasting my time waiting for the work permit which will never be issued unless I submit a separate application. Please advise.

Mdx31

Apr 1, 2018
I never heard about making a refugee claim and applying for a work permit at the same time. those are two different things. I applied for my work permit online while I was waiting for my refugee hearing, I recommend you do the same. It is the fastest way

OsamaAli

Jul 11, 2019
Brossard, QC
Thank you for the information. In one of the applications for refugee, there is a question if you want to apply for work permit or study permit. I answered yes for the work permit. My lawyer confirm to me that I dont need to apply separately, yet I asked him two days ago and he insisted that I dont need to apply separately and it sometimes takes 4-5 months to get it. I also tried to apply online but couldn't find a section for work permits for refugee claimant. Can you please send me the link where you applied? I highly appreciate your assistance.

Mdx31

Apr 1, 2018
My application took about 2 months to be approved it is quite fast when you do it online. The first thing you need to do is create an account on the CIC website and then from your account you'll see the option to apply for a work permit, when you click on it you have to answer some questions and if elegible, you'll see the forms you have to submit at the end of the questionnaire

OsamaAli

Jul 11, 2019
Brossard, QC
Thank you once again. I created an account and when I started the work permit application, it was designed for people who are not currently in Canada. Many sections are for information on the Visa as if I am still out of Canada. I will try once again. Thank you

Mdx31

Apr 1, 2018
Yes there is a question where you can put that you are a refugee claimant. I recommend you to re-do the questionnaire until you get the forms