+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit

naft2717

Dec 7, 2010
I am in discussions with a Canadian company regarding a position in Toronto. I am a US citizen living in the US. My wife holds dual US/Canadian citizenship. If we move to Toronto, what do I have to do to be allowed to work? Does being married to my Canadian wife help at all? What kind of processing time can I expect before any permit is issued?

ae03yy

Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattl
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 18, 2011
contact Canadian consulate/embassy or visit cic.gc.ca

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
naft2717 said:
I am in discussions with a Canadian company regarding a position in Toronto. I am a US citizen living in the US. My wife holds dual US/Canadian citizenship. If we move to Toronto, what do I have to do to be allowed to work? Does being married to my Canadian wife help at all? What kind of processing time can I expect before any permit is issued?
Under the NAFTA agreements, you should be able to get a WP fairly easily as a US citizen with a job offer.

Other options:
- If your timeline is a little loose, your wife could sponsor you to be a Canadian PR; that way, you are eligible to work
- With a job offer letter, you can apply for provincial nomination in Ontario; with that, you can get a WP.

My advice - If your timeline is short, go with the NAFTA option and get your wife to sponsor you when you arrive Canada. If your new employer can wait 6-7mths, then get your wife to sponsor you in the US so that you are over and done with Canadian immigration. Goodluck.

Pls see www.cic.gc.ca for more details.

prof456

Star Member
Nov 27, 2009
naft2717 said:
Any idea what kind of timetable I'd be looking at with the NAFTA option?
You can usually get the WP under he NAFTA agreement at the POE (airport, etc)....takes a few minutes. However, you have to be eligible as not all professions are covered under the agreement. Go to the CIC website and do some reading.