+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit with a Spousal sponsorship

RobertoPd

Feb 11, 2021
Hello,

I've applied for PR through inland spousal sponsorship in November 2020 thanks to my wife who is PR, and I've applied for an Open Work Permit, too. I know that right now processing times are huge for PR, but my question is related to the work permit: is the work permit application evaluated together with the PR application? I mean, do they run together?

I knew that the OWP application is there to allow you to work in the meantime that you are waiting for the PR application to be approved. So, what's the point in having the WP at the moment that I receive my PR? It was told to me that I would have received WP in 4/5 months for this reason. Is it not like that?

Thank you for your help and time!

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
OWP's submitted with inland spousal sponsorship PR applications are only processed after the applicant receives their Approved In Principle (AIP) status with their PR application.

As a November 2020 applicant, if your application process goes smoothly, you've likely got a couple more months before you get your AIP (and a determination on your OWP).

RobertoPd

Feb 11, 2021
Thank you for your reply.
I understand what you're saying. So, you said a couple of months (maybe). And after that, how much to actually get the WP? And just to be sure to giving you all the elements, the application is by paper.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OWP's submitted with inland spousal sponsorship PR applications are only processed after the applicant receives their Approved In Principle (AIP) status with their PR application.

As a November 2020 applicant, if your application process goes smoothly, you've likely got a couple more months before you get your AIP (and a determination on your OWP).
That's incorrect. You will receive your OWP before AIP if you still have status in Canada. Processing is closer to 6 months from what I heard it used to be around 4 months.