+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit under Family Sponsorship Class

KNew88

May 11, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have applied for permanent residence under the family class (spouse) 2 months ago and have received the email that my application was received. My husband is Canadian. My current work permit (post-graduate work permit) will expire May 29, and I was under the impression that I could apply for a bridging open work permit due to the situation I am in. However, it looks like this is reserved for other immigration classes and does not include the family sponsorship class.

Can somebody tell me the best way to apply for another work permit as I understand that the permanent residence application receipt does not include an implied status or a work permit.

Thank you very much.

automaton82

Aug 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V // CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
AIP 30-04-2015 // DM 06-05-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015 // PR card 28-08-2015
Did you apply inland or outland?

If you applied outland, I don't believe there's anything "included" with a PR application, you'd just have to apply for another work permit the regular way.

If it's inland, you can apply for an Open Work Permit which does give you implied status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How did you apply for permanent residency? Did you apply using the inland or outland process?

You are correct in understanding that the Bridging Open Work Permit does not apply to you (the BOWP is only for economic immigration classes). However you are eligible for an OWP if you applied inland.

KNew88

May 11, 2015
Hi, sorry I missed that important piece of information. I applied from within Canada and I already have a permanent full-time job. Do you think I could apply for the open work permit without a Labour Market Opinion as my work will not do that for me (apart from the fact that it would take months to get that if at all).

If I want to apply online for the work permit, I have to go through the questionnaire to prove my eligibility, is there a way around that?

Thank you!

automaton82

Aug 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V // CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
AIP 30-04-2015 // DM 06-05-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015 // PR card 28-08-2015
KNew88 said:
Hi, sorry I missed that important piece of information. I applied from within Canada and I already have a permanent full-time job. Do you think I could apply for the open work permit without a Labour Market Opinion as my work will not do that for me (apart from the fact that it would take months to get that if at all).

If I want to apply online for the work permit, I have to go through the questionnaire to prove my eligibility, is there a way around that?

Thank you!
If you applied within Canada, you can simply send in an application for an open work permit. To do so, see the "Working and studying" area within this document:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp

Basically you fill out the form and send it in. It will take a while to process, but they do have a pilot project on right now so it shouldn't take too long.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KNew88 said:

Thank you!
You can certainly apply for the OWP that is now issued to an Inland application prior to AIP, under the pilot program. You can submit form IMM5710 and pay the fee ($155 + $100).

However, there has been much debate here regarding a PGWP holder continuing to work (while awaiting the OWP) and the overwhelming consensus is that it is NOT advisable. It's unclear if doing so would be deemed as working illegally, since the PGWP itself is NOT extendable.