+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit, TRV & reentering Canada

BTrix

Sep 16, 2009
Hello everybody,

First some background:
I came to Canada on a student permit with a temp resident visa (TRV) that was valid until Aug 2007. In the meantime, I got a postgraduate work permit, and then a temp work permit (TWP), and then yet another TWP valid until Feb 2011. AFAIK, I am allowed to stay in Canada after TRV expires, as long as I have a valid TWP. But if I leave Canada, then I need to reapply for a TRV or otherwise I would not be allowed to reenter Canada.

OK, that much is clear. However, in March 2009 my home country was removed from the list of countries that need TRV to visit Canada. But I'm not sure about the way they phrased it, as it seems to imply that people are just visiting and I wish to reenter Canada to resume working under the conditions of my TWP. My question is whether I need to apply for some sort of TRV or would a passport and the TWP document be enough when I try to reenter?
I want to be on the safe side as, just today, I mailed my application for permanent residence under CEC, so I don't want any complications with that...

Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BTrix said:
Hello everybody,

First some background:
I came to Canada on a student permit with a temp resident visa (TRV) that was valid until Aug 2007. In the meantime, I got a postgraduate work permit, and then a temp work permit (TWP), and then yet another TWP valid until Feb 2011. AFAIK, I am allowed to stay in Canada after TRV expires, as long as I have a valid TWP. But if I leave Canada, then I need to reapply for a TRV or otherwise I would not be allowed to reenter Canada.

OK, that much is clear. However, in March 2009 my home country was removed from the list of countries that need TRV to visit Canada. But I'm not sure about the way they phrased it, as it seems to imply that people are just visiting and I wish to reenter Canada to resume working under the conditions of my TWP. My question is whether I need to apply for some sort of TRV or would a passport and the TWP document be enough when I try to reenter?
I want to be on the safe side as, just today, I mailed my application for permanent residence under CEC, so I don't want any complications with that...

Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight.
If your country of citizenship no longer requires a TRV to enter Canada, then you don't.

PMM