+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Transfer or New Work Permit - for Changing Employers

nvsrinath

Dec 23, 2009
Hi Team,

I am on a IT related Work Permit under Skilled Labour Category.

My work permit expired on 31st March 2010 and I applied for Extension in Jan 2010 and it is under process. I did not receive any final communication on the same yet.

Now I am in the process of getting a new offer from the New Employer in Canada.

Can somebody guide on which process is easier to get - Work Permit transfer to New Employer (OR) Applying for a New Work Permit.

If Work Permit has to be transferred - What is the process and how much time it takes?

Similary if new work permit has to be applied while I am in Canada - Can I do that? If so, what is the process and how much does it take?

Please advise...Its very very important for me at this point of time.

Can I apply for New Work Permit within Canada itself?

Thanks and regards,

Srinath

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

nvsrinath said:
Hi Team,

My work permit expired on 31st March 2010 and I applied for Extension in Jan 2010 and it is under process. I did not receive any final communication on the same yet.

Can somebody guide on which process is easier to get - Work Permit transfer to New Employer (OR) Applying for a New Work Permit.

If Work Permit has to be transferred - What is the process and how much time it takes?

Similary if new work permit has to be applied while I am in Canada - Can I do that? If so, what is the process and how much does it take?

Thanks and regards,

Srinath
1. There is no "transfer" If you have a new employer and a new LMO then you have to apply for a new work permit. You can't begin work until you receive the new work permit. Processing for a new work permit
27 days.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
nvsrinath said:
Hi Team,

Thanks and regards,

Srinath
New work permit. Since you don't need LMO, apply with the job offer/contract from the new employer. WP app processing time for new employer is 41 27 days. I think yu can even do it online. Also submit a copy of the receipt from when you applied for the extension to show you currently are on implied status.

*Edit: This is under the assumption that your NOC is among the LMO-exempt IT categories.

nvsrinath

Dec 23, 2009
Hi,

As you advised if I have to apply for a new Work Permit under IT Category with the support of new employer, can I do the same while I am still in Canada?

Thanks

Srinath

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
nvsrinath said:
Hi,

As you advised if I have to apply for a new Work Permit under IT Category with the support of new employer, can I do the same while I am still in Canada?

Thanks

Srinath
If you need LMO your new employer should start now as it takes about 6 weeks to get a LMO. You can also apply for the WP now under concurrent processing and if you are out of status an application for restoration at the same time.