+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit status after receiving eCOPR

adhitya

Jan 18, 2021
Hello, I have a question regarding the status once we receive the eCOPR. In my case, I have a work permit valid for another few months and a valid TRV as well. Because of COVID and the other reasons it is taking IRCC some time to process the PR cards. During this time (between receiving COPR and PR card) can I travel outside the country and return back with the visa I have?

Please share your experiences and thoughts. Thanks

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Any temporary status you have becomes null and void once you become s a Permanent Resident. And you become a Permanent Resident the moment you get a valid, signed COPR.

So no, you can't use your work permit and visa to return back to Canada as those won't be valid. If you are familiar with the process of applying for a PRTD, then you'll understand its use.

Reactions: adhitya

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
I am familiar with the process of applying for the PWTD. But my question is will my current work permit and VISA will expire once eCOPR is received or can I still use that VISA to travel outside and return back to CANADA?
I agree with @EscoBlades. Once you receive your eCOPR, your status changes to permanent and any permits will become void. You can travel to your own country after receiving your eCOPR but you would need PRTD upon your return.
I think you can use your visitor visa if you have and if its valid but then again its better to apply for PRTD.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I have a question regarding the status once we receive the eCOPR. In my case, I have a work permit valid for another few months and a valid TRV as well. Because of COVID and the other reasons it is taking IRCC some time to process the PR cards. During this time (between receiving COPR and PR card) can I travel outside the country and return back with the visa I have?

Please share your experiences and thoughts. Thanks
As said above, you should expect that the TRV and work permit are now canceled in the system since you have become a PR.

You should assume these visas will not show as valid if you try to use them to board an airplane and that you'll need either a valid PR card or valid PRTD to return.

The alternative is to fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border crossing using your eCOPR and a private vehicle.