+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit Renewal for refugees

timoh

Jul 29, 2020
I am a refugee claimant since August 2018 and still waiting for a hearing date. My work permit expires in October and my lawyer is charging 500 Dollars to renew it which is a very insane amount. Is it possible to renew my work permit on my own? What are the government fees for renewing the work permit?

Saba321

Jan 26, 2018
Some people just try to rip money off you.. you can contact any Settlement Counselor in multicultural centre. They do it for free. Or you can try it by yourself, its not that hard. All you need is passport, your medical, refugee id, if you're accepted then your acceptance letter. ( i hope i am not forgetting anything). But do search for multicultural center, they have done it over the phone/ email.

Reactions: Jack 56

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a refugee claimant since August 2018 and still waiting for a hearing date. My work permit expires in October and my lawyer is charging 500 Dollars to renew it which is a very insane amount. Is it possible to renew my work permit on my own? What are the government fees for renewing the work permit?
You don't need you actual passport if it was taken away. You can apply for it yourself.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON

Refugee claimants don't have to pay the processing fees for work and study permits. Here are the instructions, with links to the forms you need.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

Reactions: luckyrefugee

naaka

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
Its insane that you are being asked that amount.
just know its a business so they will throw whatever amount they want at you...
if you have been working, there is possibility of you paying the $155...i recently sent in my renewal and was asked to pay the $155. which i did and now waiting on my permit.

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
Refugee claimants don't have to pay the processing fees for work and study permits. Here are the instructions, with links to the forms you need.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html
unless and untill the decision in Negative. you dont need to pay for your work permit. After decision is negative they ask you to pay $155 and issue work permit for only one year.

naaka

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
unless and untill the decision in Negative. you dont need to pay for your work permit. After decision is negative they ask you to pay $155 and issue work permit for only one year.
do you mean a decision can be made within a week?