+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit refused

JayFM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Hello, my name is Javier. I applied online on the 12th of August 2019 for a PGWP and this morning saw my application was refused ... :( The refusal letter says:

"This letter refers to your application for a Work Permit. Based on your application and accompanying documentation that you have provided, I have carefully considered all information and I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations.

Your application as requested is therefore refused. Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if they have continuously studied full time in Canada and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration at a:
 University, community college, CEGEP,
Publicly funded trade / technical school or
 private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work permit in this category.

I studied one year program in BCIT, I had 9 credits each term (Fall, Winter, Spring / Summer) and the confirmation of graduation letter says that "the program is 12 months of continuous full-time courses-one-by-one studies "...

This morning, I decided to go border and do a flagpole for my PGWP...after waiting for a few mints, the officer gave me my new PGWP for 12 months. :D

My questions are:

Should I tell or appeal to CIC about the mistake?
Do I need to apply for a new SIN?
It will be a problem for future applications this refusal?
Are they going to refund money? because I paid twice ...:mad:

Thanks a lot !!

Cheers

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You dont need to tell them. Renew SIN if it is expired only. There probably won't be a refund, refunds are normally only if they have not started processing your application, you probably could have called them and they would have reopened your case.
You might need to mention the rejection on future applications but dont think it would be a problem.

13Harjot

Jan 18, 2020
Hello, my name is Javier. I applied online on the 12th of August 2019 for a PGWP and this morning saw my application was refused ... :( The refusal letter says:

"This letter refers to your application for a Work Permit. Based on your application and accompanying documentation that you have provided, I have carefully considered all information and I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations.

Your application as requested is therefore refused. Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if they have continuously studied full time in Canada and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration at a:
 University, community college, CEGEP,
Publicly funded trade / technical school or
 private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work permit in this category.

I studied one year program in BCIT, I had 9 credits each term (Fall, Winter, Spring / Summer) and the confirmation of graduation letter says that "the program is 12 months of continuous full-time courses-one-by-one studies "...

This morning, I decided to go border and do a flagpole for my PGWP...after waiting for a few mints, the officer gave me my new PGWP for 12 months. :D

My questions are:

Should I tell or appeal to CIC about the mistake?
Do I need to apply for a new SIN?
It will be a problem for future applications this refusal?
Are they going to refund money? because I paid twice ...:mad:

Thanks a lot !!

Cheers
Hey there
I am here in same situation
I am on resoration period, are we allowed to flagpole while out of status?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Aria020711

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
Hey there
I am here in same situation
I am on resoration period, are we allowed to flagpole while out of status?
I'm in same situation, too.
I reapplied for PGWP and restoration by paper based application.
I mailed the application at 31th Jan, and haven't get any updates.

13Harjot

Jan 18, 2020
I'm in same situation, too.
I reapplied for PGWP and restoration by paper based application.
I mailed the application at 31th Jan, and haven't get any updates.
I also reapplied Pgwp on paper on 27 January, and didn't hear anything yet
My lawyer told me it will took like at least 4 months for them to reply back

Aria020711

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
I also reapplied Pgwp on paper on 27 January, and didn't hear anything yet
My lawyer told me it will took like at least 4 months for them to reply back
We have the almost same timeline, so could we inform each other if one of us have any updates?
Wish both of us will get good news soon.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But we also reappied for PGWP at the same time, so it should be inplied status for PGWP, I think.
No, applying for a PGWP while out of status doesn't give status. Once you go out of status, you are out of status until Restoration is approved or you leave Canada.

Aria020711

Star Member
Jan 16, 2020
No, applying for a PGWP while out of status doesn't give status. Once you go out of status, you are out of status until Restoration is approved or you leave Canada.
I have asked IRCC, before the Restoration is approved, I can stay in Canada, but cannot work or study.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have asked IRCC, before the Restoration is approved, I can stay in Canada, but cannot work or study.
You can stay while waiting for Restoration but you are still out of status.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html

Continue to work or study

Contrary to applicants to whom we recognize an implied status, persons awaiting restoration have lost their status