+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Question

Aug 20, 2012
Hello,

My bf is an Indian Passport holder international student who completed his graduation in April and is in India right now for vacation. He has one year of work permit based on his program completion that we are planning to apply for right now before he flies back to Toronto from India on 23rd May.

1.) I am thinking it is good to apply his work permit before he comes in so that he could start working as soon as he gets here and also tell at the port of entry that his work permit is already applied for. Is that a good step? If not, why?

2.) The application for the work permit asks the Status (SINGLE/MARRIED/COMMON LAW). Now I, as a permanent resident want to show him common law for taxing and also for his immigration some time later but now very confused what should we select as his status on his application. If we write SINGLE, could he be in any problem later when we declare common law for tax and immigration?
If we write COMMON LAW, could this impact his entry to Toronto or work Permit situation?

Please advice. Very scared and confused about it.
Thanks in advance.
R

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If we write SINGLE, could he be in any problem later when we declare common law for tax and immigration?
If we write COMMON LAW, could this impact his entry to Toronto or work Permit situation?
You are right. It will not be possible to do both.

Aug 20, 2012
Hey Regina and All Experts,

Thanks a lot for the answer. I am still not sure what to select as the option to write on his work permit application. Please suggest the best course advice which gets him inside the country without issues and not impact his work status situation.

R