+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Processing Times 2023

trkm93

Jun 28, 2022
@legalfalcon Applications are still being processed but with delays due to the current strike or they will stop working on the applications completely?
Any idea!

anshu0587

Apr 17, 2023
I got my PPR today on 19th April, however my partner doesn’t yet.
Congratulations. did you apply yourself or through company attorney? and from which country?
spouse PPR comes later maybe next week if strike does not cause more delay.

Last edited:

visalvarghese

Aug 11, 2018
what's the timeline and country you applied?
Mine’s under two weeks priority processing. Initiated on the 30th March,
Upfront medical was done.
Biometric - 4th April
Medical update - 12th April
PPR - 19th April.
10 Business days it seems.
Waiting for my spouse’s PPR.
Country - India.

Visa applications processed outside of Canada will not be impacted by the strike such as Visa Application Centres in India.

visalvarghese

Aug 11, 2018
Congratulations. did you apply yourself or through company attorney? and from which country?
spouse PPR comes later maybe next week if strike does not cause more delay.
I did it on my own. At first I thought of giving it to an agency, but it’s a waste of money. You can do it on your own. It will take a week or so to gather all the documents in the required format. The documents should be fault free. Verify your documents thoroughly. Applied from India

trkm93

Jun 28, 2022
Mine’s under two weeks priority processing. Initiated on the 30th March,
Upfront medical was done.
Biometric - 4th April
Medical update - 12th April
PPR - 19th April.
10 Business days it seems.
Waiting for my spouse’s PPR.
Country - India.

Visa applications processed outside of Canada will not be impacted by the strike such as Visa Application Centres in India.
Thanks for sharing timeline. Hopefully what you're saying is true and VO outside Canada won't be impacted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just to clarify for others there is a high skilled/specialized skilled WP that has faster processing. The GTS WPs are supposed to take 2 weeks but they usually take 1-3 months but much faster than normal WPs. Regular WP applicants shouldn’t be comparing to GRS applicants.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied SOWP for my wife and 2 kids(5 years old).
Application submitted - 8th Feb(but site shows Feb 9 IST)
Medicals Passed & review eligibility started - 1st March around 9.30 pm CST(but IRCC page shows March 2nd).
This thursday would be 8 weeks of processing time. Not sure if they count 8 weeks processing time for work permit or 10 weeks processing time for study permit.
Your kids should be applying for study permits. Although it still says TRVs are acceptable in some of the government information many VOs refuse TRVs for children 4 and over and ask people to reapply for study permits for their children.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon Applications are still being processed but with delays due to the current strike or they will stop working on the applications completely?
Any idea!

Things are moving but at a snail's pace. Immigration is done in collaboration with many other agencies, such as CBSA, CSIS, the health branch, RCMP, CRA, etc. Since most employees of the federal government are members of the union, they are not working. Only those that are deemed essential are prohibited to go on a strike and have to come to work.

Given that 155,000 non-essential workers are on strike, this is sufficient to bring federal work to a halt. If the strike is not called off within the next few days, it will take months to clear the backlogs.

Eg. for immigration applications, unless the security clearance is done, an application cannot be marked as complete. SS is done by CBSA / CSIS. If the health branch employees are on strike, all medicals will be stuck. For citizenship applications, unless CRA can approve the tax return required for the application, there will be no processing of citizenship applications.

Some applicants, who are in Canada will need PCC, but given that RCMP civilian employees are on strike, this will be slowed.

There will be ripple effects all across.

Reactions: trkm93

trkm93

Jun 28, 2022
Things are moving but at a snail's pace. Immigration is done in collaboration with many other agencies, such as CBSA, CSIS, the health branch, RCMP, CRA, etc. Since most employees of the federal government are members of the union, they are not working. Only those that are deemed essential are prohibited to go on a strike and have to come to work.

Given that 155,000 non-essential workers are on strike, this is sufficient to bring federal work to a halt. If the strike is not called off within the next few days, it will take months to clear the backlogs.

Eg. for immigration applications, unless the security clearance is done, an application cannot be marked as complete. SS is done by CBSA / CSIS. If the health branch employees are on strike, all medicals will be stuck. For citizenship applications, unless CRA can approve the tax return required for the application, there will be no processing of citizenship applications.

Some applicants, who are in Canada will need PCC, but given that RCMP civilian employees are on strike, this will be slowed.

There will be ripple effects all across.
@legalfalcon Thank you for the brief reply. I understand it much better now. About my application eligibility, medical and biometrics are completed on tracker just BGC is showing In progress since 25th Feb... by your explanation looks like I may expect some delays then since security clearance is still under progress. Just FYI, my application is Work permit though not PR and it falls under Singapore visa office. My fingers are crossed for no delays.. let's see how it goes.

priyapkai

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Hi, who here has their Work Permit processing under GSS at Edmonton Visa Office.

I'm looking for processing timelines please. My lawyer said they take 8 to 13 weeks.

I called IRCC and they said its at Edmonton office. The IVR says Background processing.

29 March - WP application submitted
30 March - Received biometrics request
3 April - Submitted Biometrics but its still not updated in my file.

I know that with the strike, its going to be delayed further.
Please share you timelines. Thanks.