+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit (Postdoc, Closed Work Permit, LMIA Exempt) - Processing Time

Dr_Anoop

Feb 9, 2022
Dear All,

I have filed an application for a Temporary Work Permit for the purpose of pursuing a Postdoc position in Canada. The application was filed on 12th March 2022 with all the documents and I got my Biometrics Collection Letter on the same date. I have completed the Biometrics on 18th March and my medical was approved on April 04, 2022. Since I am applying for a Postdoc position, I am LMIA exempt and the supporting document from my employer has also been furnished stating that I am eligible for a two weeks processing time. The last status update was on 04th March and since then no updates.

Anyone facing the same issue or it would be great if somebody advise me further steps or the expected duration. In any case can I request them to expedite the process as my joining date is in May 2022.

Reactions: VNM8

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear All,

I have filed an application for a Temporary Work Permit for the purpose of pursuing a Postdoc position in Canada. The application was filed on 12th March 2022 with all the documents and I got my Biometrics Collection Letter on the same date. I have completed the Biometrics on 18th March and my medical was approved on April 04, 2022. Since I am applying for a Postdoc position, I am LMIA exempt and the supporting document from my employer has also been furnished stating that I am eligible for a two weeks processing time. The last status update was on 04th March and since then no updates.

Anyone facing the same issue or it would be great if somebody advise me further steps or the expected duration. In any case can I request them to expedite the process as my joining date is in May 2022.
What country did you apply from? That will determine the rough processing time.

Unfortunately there is no way to expedite.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Webb_Hubble

Apr 26, 2022
I have applied from India. So there is no two weeks processing for LMIA exempt closed work permits?
Hi, I applied for an LMIA exempt work permit from India (postdoctoral research associate) on 15th Feb 2022. The biometric and medical were updated on 22nd Feb and 4th March, respectively. After that there was complete silence from IRCC. I then contacted the IRCC official twitter handle on 5th April. They replied that they do not respond via twitter for case specific queries. However, the concerned person also said that IRCC is right now prioritizing citizenship grant applications from Ukraine, and hence it may take a bit longer for normal applications to reach a decision. So I stopped checking my account for a few days. However, when I logged into my account on 17th April, there was the update of "We are revieiwing whether you meet eligibility requirements". I don't know exactly on which date this was updated but I am hoping for a decision in the next 10 days or so. Secondly, I have one minor query though. I have noticed that both, the biometric letter and the medical exam form message was sent to me late at night. Does this mean that even if my case is being handled by IRCC office in India, I would always receive email notification in Canada work hour time? Is this the case with others also?

Apr 28, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I had applied for a Work Permit since I secured a Postdoc position in Canada (LIMA exempt, eligible for two weeks processing) on the 19th of December 2021 from India, I gave my Biometrics on the 30th of December and the same was updated on that very day.

Since then there has been no update. I am yet to give my medical and the passport collection mail also hasn't come. My postdoc fellowship was supposed to start from the 1st of March,2022 and its the end of April now. I have mailed the concerned authority (i.e IRCC), and after getting no response I have submitted a webform where I requested for an update on the status of my application. I got a response after two weeks where they said that they were working on processing applications as quickly as possible; however, processing times are affected by COVID-19. They will make all the necessary efforts to finalize the application as soon as possible.

While navigating through the IRCC website the processing time for work permit submitted online from India is now showing as 52 weeks. Can someone please tell me how long it actually takes and what else can be done from my side (if any) to expedite the process? Also is there any mail id or phone number where they would respond to our queries?

Webb_Hubble

Apr 26, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I had applied for a Work Permit since I secured a Postdoc position in Canada (LIMA exempt, eligible for two weeks processing) on the 19th of December 2021 from India, I gave my Biometrics on the 30th of December and the same was updated on that very day.

Since then there has been no update. I am yet to give my medical and the passport collection mail also hasn't come. My postdoc fellowship was supposed to start from the 1st of March,2022 and its the end of April now. I have mailed the concerned authority (i.e IRCC), and after getting no response I have submitted a webform where I requested for an update on the status of my application. I got a response after two weeks where they said that they were working on processing applications as quickly as possible; however, processing times are affected by COVID-19. They will make all the necessary efforts to finalize the application as soon as possible.

While navigating through the IRCC website the processing time for work permit submitted online from India is now showing as 52 weeks. Can someone please tell me how long it actually takes and what else can be done from my side (if any) to expedite the process? Also is there any mail id or phone number where they would respond to our queries?
You have still not taken your medical exam?? In my case I received medical exam instruction letter within 3 days of applying. Passport collection mail won't come until you have cleared medical and eligibility check. I would suggest you to raise another webform and ask them for medical exam form IMM1017e. while I have also not received final decision on my application, I am hopeful for it in the next 10-15 days as my eligibility check is in progress.

Apr 28, 2022
You have still not taken your medical exam?? In my case I received medical exam instruction letter within 3 days of applying. Passport collection mail won't come until you have cleared medical and eligibility check. I would suggest you to raise another webform and ask them for medical exam form IMM1017e. while I have also not received final decision on my application, I am hopeful for it in the next 10-15 days as my eligibility check is in progress.
Hi,

Thank you for the aforementioned suggestion. I will raise a webform regarding the same.

Webb_Hubble

Apr 26, 2022
Hi everyone. Got biometric correspondence letter and passport request today in Indian work hour time. It took 2.5 months for the application to be approved.

Reactions: RajdeepC

Taweda

Nov 25, 2016
want someone to help me please. The open work permit for the extension policy was given based on the validity of the passport and there is about 7 months left. Now I want to apply for the remaining period after the passport has been renewed. My question should I provide an explanation letter or they will automatically realise that. Thanks for replying.

chaitureddy39

Aug 10, 2017
My inland workpermit extension is approved. Can someone please let me know how long does it take for letter to be delivered.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
Chaitanya

Yetz

Star Member
Mar 31, 2022
As an inland applicant and based on my previous approvals. It took 1 week and few days.

chaitureddy39

Aug 10, 2017
As an inland applicant and based on my previous approvals. It took 1 week and few days.
Thank you.

In my case i have missed giving unit number for delivery is there a way to sort this out or i need to request for replacement copy?

Thanks
Chaitanya