+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Possibility!?!?

LeelaD

Star Member
Aug 1, 2016
Hi guys to cut a long story short...
I am in Quebec and have lived here for almost 3 years via returns trips and extended temporary resident visas(2) with my son(5) we are both U.K citizens, I was living with and going through the process of spousal sponsorship but despite having filled in all my paperwork and gotten to the final point our relationship broke down, I do not want to have to return to the U.K as my son now speaks French, attends French daycare and is due to start school in September.
I have been offered a job here and my employer has offered to sponsor me, I am a medical tattooist, I am currently searching through all the informations on how to apply or if it is possible to apply for a work permit here or even from here from abroad and having to leave the country and come back in but I would be so grateful if anyone could advise me of any particularities...I did read that you were eligible to apply for a work permit if you had a temporary resident visa of six months or more I have had two now but my status is due to be up in July 17th.
Thankyou in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately you've misunderstood the rule regarding TRVs and work permits. This rule does not apply to TRVs (temporary resident visas) - it applies to TRPs (temporary resident permits). TRPs are a special class of permit that is issued to people who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada (typically due to a crime). Your hold a regular visitor visa (TRV) and therefore don't qualify for a work permit under the six month rule.

To qualify to apply for a work permit, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA (permission to hire a foreign worker). The LMIA process requires your employer to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadians could be found for the role. In addition to advertising costs, the employer must also pay a $1,000 processing fee. If the employer is able to obtain an approved LMIA, you can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

LeelaD

Star Member
Aug 1, 2016
Unfortunately you've misunderstood the rule regarding TRVs and work permits. This rule does not apply to TRVs (temporary resident visas) - it applies to TRPs (temporary resident permits). TRPs are a special class of permit that is issued to people who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada (typically due to a crime). Your hold a regular visitor visa (TRV) and therefore don't qualify for a work permit under the six month rule.

To qualify to apply for a work permit, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA (permission to hire a foreign worker). The LMIA process requires your employer to advertise the job for at least a month to prove no Canadians could be found for the role. In addition to advertising costs, the employer must also pay a $1,000 processing fee. If the employer is able to obtain an approved LMIA, you can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

Ok well, my proposed employer has been advertising for months and has found no-one suitable here which is why they offered me the job, do you know how long it takes aside from the cost or can direct me somewhere for further details??

dominicantiguan

Apr 24, 2017
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
Doc's Request.
06-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-05-2016
Med's Request
03-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-06-2017 Passed
Interview........
Waived

1 month? thought it was a year..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok well, my proposed employer has been advertising for months and has found no-one suitable here which is why they offered me the job, do you know how long it takes aside from the cost or can direct me somewhere for further details??
He needs to research the advertising requirements for LMIAs. They are very specific and you have to meet them in order for the LMIA to have any chance of being approved. Chances are extremely high that the advertising he has done so far doesn't meet the LMIA requirements and he'll need to advertise for another month before he can submit the LMIA application.

Processing times for LMIAs are typically 2-4 months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.