+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit on 1 Year Post Grad Work Permit

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey,
I have a quick question. If some one comes to Canada to do 1 year Post Grad Certificate or Diploma, I believe he gets only one year visa . What happens if he completes it within 2 semester and less than an year?
Does he still get 1 year work permit ?

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
punk said:
Hey,
I have a quick question. If some one comes to Canada to do 1 year Post Grad Certificate or Diploma, I believe he gets only one year visa . What happens if he completes it within 2 semester and less than an year?
Does he still get 1 year work permit ?
Yes. You get a 1 year work permit regardless of how long it took you to complete the program.

I enrolled in a two year diploma and completed the requirements in 16 months and was issued a three year work permit.

Nadeem_jee

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2010
U.A.E
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2010
Doc's Request.
30-04-2010
Nomination.....
00-00-00
AOR Received.
30-04-2010/1st AOR
IELTS Request
01-04-2010
File Transfer...
9-06-2010/25-08-2010 2nd AOR
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
00-00-00
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
xecuter said:
Yes. You get a 1 year work permit regardless of how long it took you to complete the program.

I enrolled in a two year diploma and completed the requirements in 16 months and was issued a three year work permit.
Thanks xecuter,, i was thinking on the same line and a question was in my mind but i get the ans too!!!

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did 2 years Program in 1 year and got 2 year + work permit which could be extended. But I will get PR way before that, hopefully, so do not need it. I wanted to ask if it applies for Certificates too

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
xecuter said:

this is a tricky question..it all depends on the letter that you submit from school....my gf did a pg certificate and she got a 8 month work permit because her school letter said her program was one academic year but actual studies were for 8 months...

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I remember when I applied for, i had to enter length of my program...
So in this case wont you have to put 1 year since, Academic 1 year equals 8 months..

One more thing, if you are on off campus work permit and your studied expires. Is it Ok to continue working on it for next 80 days and then apply for pgwp..

What happens in cases where Off campus work permit is valid and post grad expires ?

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
punk said:
I remember when I applied for, i had to enter length of my program...
So in this case wont you have to put 1 year since, Academic 1 year equals 8 months..

One more thing, if you are on off campus work permit and your studied expires. Is it Ok to continue working on it for next 80 days and then apply for pgwp..

What happens in cases where Off campus work permit is valid and post grad expires ?
Technically speaking your off campus work permit expires when you graduate but CIC is a little understanding to the fact that it takes time for PGWP to come and hence they allow students to use off campus work permit....once you get your post grad, your off campus expires even if it valid for another 3 years..

Nadeem_jee

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2010
U.A.E
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2010
Doc's Request.
30-04-2010
Nomination.....
00-00-00
AOR Received.
30-04-2010/1st AOR
IELTS Request
01-04-2010
File Transfer...
9-06-2010/25-08-2010 2nd AOR
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
00-00-00
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Like the program which i select its a 2 years program. but if it starts in september 2013 it will end june 2015 .. means 3 months before.. my question is wil i get a 21 months visa? And the PGWP is according to length of studies so instead of 3 years on a 2 years course it will be 21 months?? and hoe come i be able to apply for a post graduate work permit ? because applying for post graduate work permit one must have valid study work permit and transcripts while transcripts we will get after 2 months like in august?? this situation is confusing me....!

my other question is i heared that if u do diploma you have to apply for PR by your employer while with a degree you can apply by yourself after ur experience which cic asked.. is that true???
!!!

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Nadeem_jee said:
Like the program which i select its a 2 years program. but if it starts in september 2013 it will end june 2015 .. means 3 months before.. my question is wil i get a 21 months visa? And the PGWP is according to length of studies so instead of 3 years on a 2 years course it will be 21 months?? and hoe come i be able to apply for a post graduate work permit ? because applying for post graduate work permit one must have valid study work permit and transcripts while transcripts we will get after 2 months like in august?? this situation is confusing me....!

my other question is i heared that if u do diploma you have to apply for PR by your employer while with a degree you can apply by yourself after ur experience which cic asked.. is that true???
!!!
You can get a graduation letter from your school verifying that you have graduated...and you can get your transcript before two months if tell registration that you need it early..that is what I did..I told them I am moving out of province..

there is no difference for PR as for diploma and degree as you get your PR on the basis of your work experience..

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply on basis of your degree too, if you are going through PNP

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
but if we do a 8month academic followed by 4 month coop, would that allow us to have a 8 month permit or 12 month permit?
Can employers still offer permanent jobs even if we only have a 8 month work permit?

and what happens once it expires?