+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Medical + Piercings??

Skeksis

May 26, 2010
Hi :) I've just sent off my application for a work permit for a job I've been given as a language assistant in quebec (all sorted out by the British Council, so we aren't really fully informed of the process, just told which forms to fill out and send where lol). I've read on some of the literature from the British Council that people with piercings may fail the medical test for the permit. I was wondering if anyone knew anything more about this, as I was given the job no questions asked after the interview panel had seen my piercings, and it seems very silly that a country would flat out refuse someone just because they had piercings at all, so could someone please fill me in on the specifics of this vague comment I've heard?? Many thanks! :) Oh, and if it matters I have 2 non-lobe ear piercings, a nose ring and a lip ring and one small tattoo, the most recent of which was done around 10 months ago, over a year before I'll be due in Quebec :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Skeksis said:
Hi :) I've just sent off my application for a work permit for a job I've been given as a language assistant in quebec (all sorted out by the British Council, so we aren't really fully informed of the process, just told which forms to fill out and send where lol). I've read on some of the literature from the British Council that people with piercings may fail the medical test for the permit. I was wondering if anyone knew anything more about this, as I was given the job no questions asked after the interview panel had seen my piercings, and it seems very silly that a country would flat out refuse someone just because they had piercings at all, so could someone please fill me in on the specifics of this vague comment I've heard?? Many thanks! :) Oh, and if it matters I have 2 non-lobe ear piercings, a nose ring and a lip ring and one small tattoo, the most recent of which was done around 10 months ago, over a year before I'll be due in Quebec :)
Tattoos and piercings mean that an HIV and Hep C blood test will be included in the medical. If you turn out to be HIV+ or have HEP C, the work permit can be refused, as you may be considered "excessive demand" on the medical results.

Skeksis

May 26, 2010
Oh right OK, so they just do extra tests because there's more risk rather than just refusing entry for no reason other than that the jewellery's there? That would make much more sense and leave me less worried lol thanks :)