+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit - Medical form and passport - Now what?

xsrevelo01

Apr 30, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am a applying for a work permit and I recently got a personalized medical form along with my passport. No instructions though. I realized I had to get the medical examination done by a designated medical practitioner, which I just did and they will forward the medical results to CIC. However, I am not sure what to do with my passport. I need a temporary resident visa along with the work permit so obviously they need my passport to stamp the visa. Should I send my passport to the visa office that is processing my application (Washington)? or Should I wait to hear from them? I intent to move to Canada July 1st so obviously I will do whatever speeds up the process. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Xavier

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xsrevelo01 said:
Hello everyone,

I am a applying for a work permit and I recently got a personalized medical form along with my passport. No instructions though. I realized I had to get the medical examination done by a designated medical practitioner, which I just did and they will forward the medical results to CIC. However, I am not sure what to do with my passport. I need a temporary resident visa along with the work permit so obviously they need my passport to stamp the visa. Should I send my passport to the visa office that is processing my application (Washington)? or Should I wait to hear from them? I intent to move to Canada July 1st so obviously I will do whatever speeds up the process. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Xavier
Where are you from? Chances are that if you require a visa, the Visa office will await the results of the medical and then request your passport for visa stamping.

xsrevelo01

Apr 30, 2012
Thanks for replying. I am from Ecuador with a student F-1 visa. I submited my application to the visa office in Washington. I do require a temporary resident visa. Should I wait for them to request the passport then?

Thanks again,
Xavier

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xsrevelo01 said:
Thanks for replying. I am from Ecuador with a student F-1 visa. I submited my application to the visa office in Washington. I do require a temporary resident visa. Should I wait for them to request the passport then?

Thanks again,
Xavier
Hmmm. You might want to send them an email and/or a fax asking what you should do. Seems strange that they would send the passport back but you probably needed it to get the medical done. Look on their website for the fax numbers and/or email addresses. Make sure you put your full name, date of birth, file/application number and any other identifying information so they can match the inquiry to your file.

xsrevelo01

Apr 30, 2012
I did send an email and they replied with generic information about the application process and links to the CIC website which by now I am very familiar with. Nothing about my specific question though. You are right, I needed the passport for the medical, I guess that is why they returned.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
If a person wanted to get their medical done as soon possible for the work permit, could they do it without the pp, or could they go to a DMP and get one done BEFORE submitting the application and pp?

xsrevelo01

Apr 30, 2012
Pippin said:
If a person wanted to get their medical done as soon possible for the work permit, could they do it without the pp, or could they go to a DMP and get one done BEFORE submitting the application and pp?
You will need your passport so the DMP confirms your identity. I guess you could do the medical before submitting the application if you are certain you need one. If you do not need it, it will not hurt your application but the medical exam will cost you $$. My understanding is that the medical exam requirement depends on the type of work you will be doing. See this: cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp#determine

Julianaalicia

May 4, 2012
I' m just new here just want to ask we've submitted all the requirements needed my husband has a letter from his employee at toronto the problem is he has received his medical request here in manila up to now i dont have any medical request bec i had to submit some documents that was asked by the canadian embassy just want to do you have any idea how long will it take for me to have a medical request all of my docents were submitted lasg april 23 tnx in advance and God bless

xsrevelo01

Apr 30, 2012
I am still not sure of what to do. Please send any suggestions this way. My medical exams were mailed by the Doctor's office around May 7th but I haven't heard back from the Washington office regarding the passport or WP. What if I send them my passport before they request it? I am in a bit of a hurry since I am supposed to begin my new job in Canda July 1st.

Thanks,
Xavier