+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Inquiry

Julikate

Jan 7, 2013
I have looked through topics and couldn't find any situation close to my own, so I am posting a new thread.
So here is some background information. I am a German citizen and was granted a WHV back in 2012, then applied for and got granted a Young Professionals visa in 2013. This visa has expired at the beginning of this month. In the meantime I had applied for an extension of my work permit. I went through the Welcome to Canada Wizard and it let me to two options I may be eligible to apply under, one of which was an extension of my current permit. So when I filled out form IMM5710 I chose the option of "work permit with current employer" and then further down on the same form chose "exempt from LMO". This application was refused this morning and I was informed that my temporary resident status is expired as of today with the option to apply to renew it within 90 days.

So I have a few questions and really hope someone can help. I should mention that my current position as a customer service representative is not skilled work. Is there any way for me to get even a temporary permit that would allow me to keep working for now? Or should I apply for an extension again choosing a different type of permit, such as "open permit"? Can my employer apply for an LMO (or LMIA as it is called now) even if it is not skilled work?

If I did try and apply for PR as a skilled worker (although I don't like my chances having worked as a freelance German-English translator before, but not necessarily what would be considered full-time, since hours vary when freelancing), could I then somehow keep working for my current employer?

Any advice at all as to what might work would be greatly appreciated. Even an option I may not have thought about.