+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit in Diesel Mechanic helper (NOC 7612)

MsOptimistic

Star Member
Nov 22, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good afternoon everyone!

A friend of mine is needing some advice with regards to his work permit application.

He's a British citizen with 20 years of experience in Diesel Mechanic. The problem is, he doesn't have any certificate(s) proving he knows the job as he just worked for his dad who owns a tugboat before.

My question is:
Can he apply for a work permit in diesel mechanic helper (NOC 7612)?

If he finds an employer who is willing to give him an LMO, is it possible that he could get a work permit with this kind of work?

Thank you so much in advance.

MsOptimistic

Star Member
Nov 22, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Getting an approved LMO will probably prove to be almost impossible. It is classified as unskilled labour.
So, the prospective employer cannot apply an LMO with this kind of work? Therefore, he can't apply for a work permit with this NOC code? :(

oz_brex

Jan 25, 2013
Hi MsOptimistic, nothing would stop a prospective employer from applying for an LMO - they just have to meet the requirements for getting it approved. For NOC Code 7612 (which is the general trades and labourers code - I know nothing about diesel mechanics but perhaps he would be eligible to work under different codes as well?) there were 65 confirmed workers (ie. LMO and work permit issued) between January and June of last year, so while the numbers aren't high, it is certainly possible that the employer could get a positive LMO (especially if he has the experience like you said).