+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit implied status - Can I leave Canada?

hnipps

May 5, 2016
Hi,

I've applied to extend my open work permit, if I leave Canada and return before I receive a decision can I still work here?

More info:
I'm an IEC participant and I applied to extend my open work permit, because my current work permit expires before the 2 year max allowed under the UKs agreement with Canada.

This happened because the passport I used to enter Canada expires before the 2 years.

I recently received a new passport, so I've applied to extend my open work permit up until the 2 year max for IEC.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,

I've applied to extend my open work permit, if I leave Canada and return before I receive a decision can I still work here?

More info:
I'm an IEC participant and I applied to extend my open work permit, because my current work permit expires before the 2 year max allowed under the UKs agreement with Canada.

This happened because the passport I used to enter Canada expires before the 2 years.

I recently received a new passport, so I've applied to extend my open work permit up until the 2 year max for IEC.
1. No, from CIC re: implied status

"
Implied status and travelling outside Canada
A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may be allowed to

• re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, pending a decision on the renewal of their application to study or work in Canada, provided they are temporary resident visa (TRV)-exempt, as per section R190, or on a multiple-entry visa.

They may not resume work or study in Canada until their application for renewal has been granted. Those not able to resume work must satisfy the border services officer that they have sufficient means of support.

It should be noted that this applies to foreign nationals who are TRV exempt, as per paragraph R190(3)(f), and to those with multiple-entry visas. Temporary residents from TRV-required countries who have implied status and are seeking re-entry to Canada following a visit solely to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon are still considered to be TRV exempt, as per subparagraph R190(3)(f)(ii). In this case, their period of authorized stay is extended, pending a decision. This interpretation of the legislation is consistent with the Federal Court decision of De Brito v. Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration);

Sulwyn

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Everything PMM said is true. To add on to that, IEC - Working Holiday visass CANNOT be extended. When you activated your permit at the border, that was your one chance to get the full 2 year duration for your visa.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Everything PMM said is true. To add on to that, IEC - Working Holiday visass CANNOT be extended. When you activated your permit at the border, that was your one chance to get the full 2 year duration for your visa.
Any work permit can be extended if originally issued for a lesser period of time due to passport validity.