+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit - Global Skills Strategy - 2 Week Processing

TeeEm

Feb 10, 2018
Hello:

I am currently an Indian residing in India. I have a PhD in Life Sciences from the US and have also gained 5 years of post-doctoral experience in the research area I intend to work in Canada.

I have recently received a Job Offer as a Research Technician (NOC code 2121 Skill Level A Biologists and Related Scientists.) from a Canadian institute. I am applying for the Online Work Permit using the cic website.

While going through the "Come to Canada Tool Questionnaire" I was asked about: "Do you plan to work in any of these categories?" and I answered YES, as the Highly Skilled Workers and Researchers (Global Skills Strategy) seems to be applicable to me. It also allows for a 2-week processing which is applicable according the following information found on this link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/global-skills-strategy.html

Who is eligible for two-week processing
There are two ways you can be eligible for two-week processing of your work permit application. It depends on if you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

If you don’t need an LMIA (LMIA-exempt)
If you don’t need an LMIA, you will be eligible for two-week processing if you meet all of these requirements:

• you are applying from outside Canada
  • your job is either skill type 0 (managerial) or skill level A (professional) in the National Occupational Classification system
  • your employer has submitted an offer of employment using the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee
All the above 3 conditions are applicable in my case. However, elsewhere, in there seems to be a time frame (work for not more than 120 days) that defines the Global Skills Strategy 2-week processing criteria.

So I am confused whether I should select YES to the above question regarding the category of work or NO. If I select NO, then I get a different set of documents required. However, I am not sure then if I will qualify for the 2-week processing.

I would appreciate if any of you have experience in this area and can help me to decide what approach I should take.

Thank you very much

TeeEm

richielo

Sep 13, 2018
Hi TeeEm,

I am having a similar situation. May I ask how did you resolve this in the end? Were you able to get 2-week processing?

Thanks,
Richie