+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit for us citizens

Gina.m

Feb 25, 2018
Hello . Can an US citizen work in Canada ? If I know the person and hire her . I own a hair salon and she is her own spa in states . I want her to come and work with me if she is allowed . Please let me know thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello . Can an US citizen work in Canada ? If I know the person and hire her . I own a hair salon and she is her own spa in states . I want her to come and work with me if she is allowed . Please let me know thanks
She will need to obtain a work permit in order to work in Canada. To obtain a work permit, she will need a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA. The LMIA process is very long and expensive for the employer. They have to start by advertising the role for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. They must following the LMIA advertising requirements when they do this. Next, the employer must pay a $1,000 fee and submit the LMIA for processing. You can expect processing to take 2-4 months with no guarantee of approval. If the LMIA is approved, the US citizen can then apply for a work permit.

I suspect the chances of getting an LMIA approved for a salon job are probably quite low - but you can certainly try.

Reactions: Supercanadian