+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit for spouse of a Canadian permanent resident

Worried_1

Sep 1, 2016
Dear Friends,

I received my PR through FSW inland in September 2017. I will be getting married in end of Jan 2018 and had the following questions:

1) My to be wife is currently working in USA on an H1B, can she obtain an Open work permit as I am a Permanent Resident here ?
2) I was wondering can she apply for PR through FSW program as well as she qualifies ( my understanding is that this will take less time provided she has sufficient points) or should I apply her PR as a sponsor (which to my understanding may take more time)
3) For her to be able to work in Canada - Can she get an open work permit just by submitting an application online where she specifies as being married to a skilled worker living in Canada or we have submit her PR application first before she can apply for open work permit.

Please advise.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
1. She is not eligible for an open work permit just because you are a PR.
2. It is much faster if she applies for PR on her own if she qualifies for FSW.
3. She is not eligible for an open work permit even if she applies for the PR.
Good luck!

Worried_1

Sep 1, 2016
1. She is not eligible for an open work permit just because you are a PR.
2. It is much faster if she applies for PR on her own if she qualifies for FSW.
3. She is not eligible for an open work permit even if she applies for the PR.
Good luck!
Thank you for your reply ..... on the same topic could you please also help clarify the following :

1) When can she actually start working in Canada ? Do we have to wait until her PR gets approved ?
2) Can we submit an application for her apply for her work permit ? One of the options that we were getting while creating an online application had a question "What type of work permit do you want to apply for? " and one of the response option was "A work permit for spouse, common - law of a skilled worker or student". I am not sure if this is applicable in my case ? Any suggestions would be highly valuable.

Please advise.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
1. Yes, you will have to wait for PR.
2. Again, people who apply for PR and don't already have a valid work permit (before applying) are not eligible for the open work permit. The option you have seen is for the spouses of people in Canada on study or work permits, not for PRs.
Good luck!