+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit for dependent child of study permit holder?

Discussion in 'Temporary Residence in Canada (Work, Study, Visit)' started by Yelsew, Jan 11, 2019.

  1. A 19 year-old woman from Egypt is living here in Canada as a dependent of her mother. The mother has a valid study permit as an international student (I'm not sure of the duration). The daughter is in her last year of high school and has applied for a study permit to attend a recognized college. She already has a study permit for attending high school (not normally required for minors, but she is over 18). She would like to work part-time while still attending high school full-time. I checked IRCC and it appears that only spouses (not children) of study permit holders can apply for an open work permit (with a few exceptions which don't apply). So does this mean, for now at least, she can only apply for an 'employer-specific' work permit (using the IMM 5710 form) which would require an LMIA? Or alternatively, will she have to wait until her post-secondary study permit is issued and studies have commenced, and then be eligible to work off-campus without a permit? It appears that only post-secondary, not high school students can do this. Any advice is appreciated.
  2. She cannot work as a high school student. She will have to wait until she has started her full time post-secondary studies before she will be able to work.

    If she wishes to work now, she would need to secure a job offer from a Canadian employer and that employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA in order for her to apply for a closed work permit. LMIA process typically takes 4-6 months and requires the employer to advertise the job for at least a month and prove no Canadian could be found for the role. Pretty much zero chance an LMIA is going to be approved for a high school student.
    Yelsew likes this.
  3. Thanks for the prompt reply, Scylla. Although I'm not very familiar with LMIA's, I know it's not a quick process and thus not very practical in this situation. An open work permit would be easier, but apparently she is not eligible. As for being able to work off-campus part-time without a work permit once she begins her post-secondary program later this year, I believe her study permit would have to specifically state this? Do you know if this right to work is routinely granted on study permits, or would she have had to mention this when she applied for her study permit?
  4. She is not eligible for an open work permit.

    Yes - the right to work off campus is routinely granted to full time students on study permits who are attending a recognized institution. She cannot start working until classes begin. Once classes start, she can work up to 20 hours per week off campus.
    Yelsew likes this.
  5. Got it, thank you :)

Share This Page