+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit for a spouse of ESL student?

dmitry86

Jun 4, 2009
Hello everybody!

I am planning to transfer my wife in Canada for English program for 12 months. In this case I would like to know, am I eligible for work permit as a spouse of international student?
According to CIC side the answer is yes, further I was unable to find any differentiation according that information.

Thank you ,
and
Merry Christmas!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dmitry86 said:
Hello everybody!

I am planning to transfer my wife in Canada for English program for 12 months. In this case I would like to know, am I eligible for work permit as a spouse of international student?
According to CIC side the answer is yes, further I was unable to find any differentiation according that information.

Thank you ,
and
Merry Christmas!

NO you can't read the following.

# Spouses
Spouses and common-law partners of certain foreign workers and of certain foreign students who are currently studying or working under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program

* Spouses of certain foreign students may obtain a work permit without having to obtain a labour market opinion from HRSDC. This exemption applies to spouses who are not themselves enrolled in full-time studies.
* Eligibility criteria: To be allowed to work in this category, you must prove that you are the spouse of a student who holds a valid student permit and who is studying full time at a post-secondary institution—a university, a community college, a CEGEP, a technical or school of commercial studies—that is financed by the private or public sector and authorized by provincial law to award university degrees.

PMM