+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit extension

raouf95

Feb 22, 2024
hello, i have an open work permit and study permit, I will be graduating in April, if I want to get my PGWP can I do flagpole while I have an open work permit?

approvalplease

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
I am on implied status because I already have applied for another work permit extension in October with my Spouse’s PGWP file.

I got the following reasons in my refusal letter:-

[X] After considering all the circumstances of your case, it has been determined that you are not
a person whose employment will create or maintain significant employment, benefits or
opportunities for Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
You have not provided sufficient evidence to prove that your spouse is employed in an
occupation that falls within the National Occupation Classification Skill level of 0, A or B. You
may be eligible to re-apply for a work permit if you are able to provide proof that your spouse is
a skilled worker in Canada, which may include a letter from your spouse’s employer, stating
his/her job title, duties, and salary. If you cannot prove that your spouse is in a skilled
occupation, your application for a work permit cannot be approved without a Labour Market
Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada.
[X] We also wish to advise you that your temporary resident status has been maintained until a
decision is made on the application for extension you submitted on October 19, 2023. However,
you are no longer authorized to engage in work or study at this time.
I also had the exact same reply. Do you agree with the statement they told you though?

[X] We also wish to advise you that your temporary resident status has been maintained until a
decision is made on the application for extension you submitted on October 19, 2023. However,
you are no longer authorized to engage in work or study at this time.

Did you continue working? because I am sure you received an implied status letter for the second application.

Aravindh18

Feb 22, 2024
Is there a way to apply for an extension under any categories ? My PGWP is expiring on March 20th. I don't have any PNP certificate or ITA from Federal. Still Is it possible to apply for an extension ? does it backfire in my future PR application ? I have a skill A job offer which is full time. And not possible for LMIA or employer support. Do I have any options ?

Also my application is in assessment stage with ONIP I don't know when it gets updated and get a decision too ? If I won't get a decision before March 20th, what are the options to request IRCC officer to ask for a less than 6 months work permit ? Even I don't mind getting a closed work permit with my present employer.

cheery27

Jan 1, 2024
Hi My wife SOWP expires on feb 1,2024. But I have applied for open work permit extension for her on feb 1, 2024 early morning 1 am. Does she eligible to continue to work until she gets the decision?

Last edited:

Anushaja

Feb 1, 2024
Hi My wife SOWP expires on feb 1,2024. But I have applied for open work permit extension for her on feb 1, 2024 early morning 1 am. Does she eligible to continue to work until she gets the decision?
On IRCC website, they have mentioned about that. So you can confirm from that.

NIPUN MAHENDRU

May 9, 2018
I am in the process of open work permit through IRCC portal account. When I go to "Apply to visit, study or work in Canada as a temporary resident" I come on the first page of the application. On the first page of application, there are 5 questions as follows;

1. I want to apply for a: (required)
study permit
transit visa or temporary special measures
visitor visa or super visa
work permit
not sure

2. What exactly do you want to apply for? (required)
I am the spouse, common law partner or dependent of an H-1B visa holder
Not sure

3. Select the province or territory where you plan to live or work (required)
If you don't know yet, select "unknown" from the list.

When I select Work permit in question#1 , then it prompts to select one of the options from Question#2. There are 2 options in question#2.

The first option of "I am the spouse, common law partner or dependent of an H-1B visa holder" does not apply to me
The second option of "Not sure", when I select this option, the button of "Save and continue" remains in gray color and does not let me to continue to the application. This button has to turn to dark blue for me to continue this application.

Please help if anybody has encountered this issue.

Anushaja

Feb 1, 2024
Hi ,

i have been still waiting for response since mid of October & am not sure i will get positive or negative response, if you have applied recently you can upload next pay stubs when your husband will get that. Its will take approximately 3-6 months to response so you have enough time frame to upload biweekly webforms and if you still have your valid initial work permit or visitor permit then flagpole would be the best option for you at this time with one paystub
Hello, have you received any update?