+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit Extension

StarA

Star Member
Oct 7, 2020
Hello All ,
My Fiancé work permit is getting expired next month end .Is there any way he can extend his work pemit.Other options to continue his stay in Canada and work.
I am waiting for my PR If I get my COPR is there any way his work permit can get extended.Please let me know if anyone has any clue regarding my situation.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All ,
My Fiancé work permit is getting expired next month end .Is there any way he can extend his work pemit.Other options to continue his stay in Canada and work.
I am waiting for my PR If I get my COPR is there any way his work permit can get extended.Please let me know if anyone has any clue regarding my situation.

Thanks.
What kind of work permit does he hold now? Any chance he has a PR application in progress (i.e. has been selected under Express Entry, received ITA and submitted his complete application)?

Are you living together? If so, how long have you lived together continuously? How have you applied for PR?

StarA

Star Member
Oct 7, 2020
He has PG work permit(whatever we get after study permit)No he doesn't have PR application in process .Mine is in process I have gave my biometrics and waiting for final decision. We are living together but when I applied my PR I showed my status as single and not common law or married. So worried about situation don't know what can he do in this situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He has PG work permit(whatever we get after study permit)No he doesn't have PR application in process .Mine is in process I have gave my biometrics and waiting for final decision. We are living together but when I applied my PR I showed my status as single and not common law or married. So worried about situation don't know what can he do in this situation.
He would need an LMIA from his employer to continue working in that case.

StarA

Star Member
Oct 7, 2020
He would need an LMIA from his employer to continue working in that case.
I don't think so he is going to get LMIA.IS there any option if I get married as soon as I get my COPR can I apply his Spouse dependent work permit.And thanks for your quick response.

upon

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2020
Winnipeg
You can sponsor him when you become PR once you get married.

But, you did not mention in your PR application that you have a common law partner(if you lived together more than 1 year in common law relationships)..so it might be tricky.

for how long are you two living together as common law by now?

StarA

Star Member
Oct 7, 2020
You can sponsor him when you become PR once you get married.

But, you did not mention in your PR application that you have a common law partner(if you lived together more than 1 year in common law relationships)..so it might be tricky.

for how long are you two living together as common law by now?
Its been 2 years.I did not add his name because my points would have been decreased if I add it.But is it possible once I get my COPR add if my get married soon.He can apply spouse dependent work permit on that basis.Because PR for him dependent on me will take almost 3 months to get the application umber as it is all paper base.If you have any suggestion please let me know.Thanks

upon

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2020
Winnipeg
Its been 2 years.I did not add his name because my points would have been decreased if I add it.But is it possible once I get my COPR add if my get married soon.He can apply spouse dependent work permit on that basis.Because PR for him dependent on me will take almost 3 months to get the application umber as it is all paper base.If you have any suggestion please let me know.Thanks
The problem here is:
you must tell them your real marital status. You can’t tell them you are single and then sponsor someone you have been married or common law after you get the PR. In this case you will not be able to sponson anyone who you did not disclose when applying for PR. Hence, if you had a common law partner when applying but said you are single - you will never be able to sponsor that common law partner in the future.

I am suggesting just to apply and include him as common law to avoid problems in the future.

Last edited:

StarA

Star Member
Oct 7, 2020
The problem here is:
you must tell them your real marital status. You can’t tell them you are single and then sponsor someone you have been married or common law after you get the PR. In this case you will not be able to sponson anyone who you did not disclose when applying for PR. Hence, if you had a common law partner when applying but said you are single - you will never be able to sponsor that common law partner in the future.

I am suggesting just to apply and include him as common law to avoid problems in the future.
Thank you very much for your help I will do what you suggested.

upon

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2020
Winnipeg
Thank you very much for your help I will do what you suggested.
No problem.
although, I am not sure how to go next about it.
I guess you need to contact them that your status changer and you have a common law in fact. You can say that you did not understand about common law thing when you applied and thought you just single.
I am not sure what they are going to do about it and what a chance to be accused of misrepresentation. Please ask some more people here. Especially you can ask @legalfalcon.

StarA

Star Member
Oct 7, 2020
But is it still consider common law if we are living with our friends and not by ourselves?
And other option is we can get married instead of showing it as common law.Because everywhere its not the situation where only if you are living together you get married.Its my thinking is nothing that I am against whatever you said.But still how does it work still he want be able to extend his work permit at any point in this situation right?

upon

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2020
Winnipeg
But is it still consider common law if we are living with our friends and not by ourselves?
And other option is we can get married instead of showing it as common law.Because everywhere its not the situation where only if you are living together you get married.Its my thinking is nothing that I am against whatever you said.But still how does it work still he want be able to extend his work permit at any point in this situation right?
From my understanding:it is you who determine common law situation. You can live with other 20 people in the house-but you are not common law to any of them. However, visa officer can see it differently- I have no idea what they have in their heads.
For sure you can marry him and try to sponsor him as your husband.
To extend his WP you need an employer who do lmia for him or lmia exempt employer. Or, you need to be a PR-get married-apply for a sponsorship-apply for a work permit based on inland sponsorship.

Reactions: navidhillon

StarA

Star Member
Oct 7, 2020
From my understanding:it is you who determine common law situation. You can live with other 20 people in the house-but you are not common law to any of them. However, visa officer can see it differently- I have no idea what they have in their heads.
To extend his WP you need an employer who do lmia for him or lmia exempt employer. Or, you need to be a PR-get married-apply for a sponsorship-apply for a work permit based on inland sponsorship.
You are the best.Thanks for your advice I will keep in mind and working accordingly.

navidhillon

Nov 13, 2020
hey ! since you have so much info in this, can you help me in my simple querie . So i had an lmia based work permit which has expired and am on implied status but have applied for a lmia based WP with changed conditions ( supervisor lmia now) , so will this experience during implied status count in my express entry later when i apply for WP? and am already was eligible to apply for pnp but due to covid we changed my lmia type so will i have to get an experience of 1 year in this new supervisor work experience or i can apply as soon as i got my work permit extended?

upon

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2020
Winnipeg
It will count.
I don’t know when you can apply becauseI don’t see under what program you are applying. If it is just CEC you need 1 year of experience in Canada under NOC 0, A or B.
This can be multiple jobs. You need 1 year in total.
If that is PNP-I have no idea which one you want to apply for.