+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit extension

Darayusdc

Jan 13, 2019
Hi,

I'm filling my application for an extended work permit. I have already applied for PR and the documents are being assessed. My current work permit expires on March 2019 an it's an open work permit (Post Graduate Work Permit) as I continued to stay in Canada for work after I completed my masters (in Canada).

My question is: Which of the options to choose in this particular question for extended work permit?

Question (as appeared in questionnaire): Which situation best describes your work situation?

Answer options:
1. I'm working under an international agreement.
2. I'm eligible for a work permit through an active pilot project.
3. I'm a provincial nominee certificate holder.
4. I'm an entrepreneur/self-employer.
5. I'm the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student or skilled worker.
6. I'm a religious worker.
7. I'm on academic exchange , conducting research or taking training.
8. I'm an intra-company transferee.
9. None of the above.

I feel it is "None of the above" as I am single (never married) and been working as an employee in a bank in Canada, on a post graduate work permit. However, I'm not too sure of the option "I'm eligible for a work permit through an active pilot project."
Would be great if someone could share their views. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can't extend a PGWP. You have to get your employer to apply for an LMIA and then apply for a closed work permit to work after PGWP expires.

Darayusdc

Jan 13, 2019
Thank you for your reply. But I have an invitation to apply for PR and have already submitted my documents. The application is currently under assessment. Still I can't apply for a bridging open work permit (BOWP)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. But I have an invitation to apply for PR and have already submitted my documents. The application is currently under assessment. Still I can't apply for a bridging open work permit (BOWP)?
PGWP holders don't qualify for BOWP.